Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Report 12/19/2019

Default Pyramid Report 12/19/2019

Another Pyramid trip today.

I blasted off from home around 8:30 with high hopes since the full moon has now become a waning moon.

Arrived @ Wino around 9:30 and walked out to the beach to chat with pal Carmen.

Not much action for him this morning, he said he was 1 for 2.

Well, since it appeared to be slow at Wino, I thought I'd give Sandhole a try today.

Arriving @ Sandhole there were 3 fishermen packing up to leave.
    They said they only landed one and lost a second using spinning rods.

Uhhh-ohhhhh............Wino + Sandhole = 2 fish sounded like trouble..................

So, I suited up and was on the water by 10:15.
    There was a slight breeze producing some chop so I used my 'cator rig.

Out in the water thinking to myself, after four skunkin's in a row, I just have to hook into a kamikaze fish today.

Around 1:30 Pal Carmen showed up and found me at Sandhole.
    He asked if I was doing any good and I shamefully gave him my bad news......"NOPE, NOTHING".
    Carmen told me that a "group" of around eight showed up at Wino after I left this morning and there was no fish hooked or landed by any of them.
    Since he had nothing from 9:30 till 1:30 either, he was "packing it in and heading home".

Well, I stayed till 3:30 and once again.........NOTHING.........ZERO.......ZIP...... ..NADA........ANOTHER BIG DOUGHNUT.

So, another fish-less day for me at Pyramid today.

Just in case anyone's counting..........................It's now five skunks in a row for me....................

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get back out there before or after Christmas to get rid of this "perma-skunk" I've been wearing...........................................

"Come on Santa............throw me a bone here...............just a few fish would make me happy".

For the ride home, a small thermos of Minestrone soup with the obligatory salt and pepper and a couple of dashes of Tabasco.

Dang Cutthroats.

Bob

Hey bob- you holmdkng your tongue wrong or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Hey bob- you holmdkng your tongue wrong or something?
    Holding my tongue wrong ? .........................Awwwww crap ....................................

I thought I was suppose to use both hands to hold my switch rod......................

NOW you tell me................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-20-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Bob - this time last year I said Santa was going to bring you a ten pounder. It took him a little while but he did it. This year I think he is going to bring you a whole sack of fish. As many fish as the sack will hold and still fit down the chimney. Hang in there. Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Bob - this time last year I said Santa was going to bring you a ten pounder. It took him a little while but he did it. This year I think he is going to bring you a whole sack of fish. As many fish as the sack will hold and still fit down the chimney. Hang in there. Merry Christmas.
    Yes he did................................. and even then some too !!!!!!!!

Good to see you posting a bit John.
    I do miss your wonderful photo-loaded reports !!!!

Any trips in the future with photos in the making ???

Merry Christmas to you too,

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-20-2019 at 09:48 PM.

My last photo post was coho in October. That was a good trip. Some trips it is hard to get a bunch of photos so not everything gets posted. I am going to Oregon and Washington for winter steelhead. Hard to say how that will work out. Could be too dry or too wet or too crowded or a terrible run. You take your lumps in steelhead fishing sometimes. I want to backpack the Wind River Mountains this year. That could get some nice photos.

Your time is around the corner Bob. The cator hatch gets better as the water temps keep getting colder.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Your time is around the corner Bob. The cator hatch gets better as the water temps keep getting colder.
    Yep, that appears to be the "trend".................... at least that was what happened last year.

I've got a hall pass for the next several days............................

I was torn on whether or not to do Pyramid tomorrow but being it's the weekend........and the week in between Christmas and New Years day.......... I'm thinking the crowds might be on the "excessive side".
    I think I'll give it another "go" sometime next week.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some local stuff with the trout two hander............if it isn't iced up.
    The hold-overs tend to gather up in a cove that has a little warmer water and they should be chowin' on midges.

I hope for God's sake I'm not going to keep wearing this danged skunkin' suit any more.

I've got my fingers crossed for some fish in the net tomorrow.

Bob

Change of location is in order for you. I’ve been hitting local waters the last couple weeks, nothing the size of pyramid fish but a lot of fun regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Change of location is in order for you. I’ve been hitting local waters the last couple weeks, nothing the size of pyramid fish but a lot of fun regardless!
    Yeppers on the "Change of location" Mr T.

Today I arrived at my little pond around noon (only a half hour drive from home) and was greeted with 3/4 of it frozen over.

It was a nice crisp winter afternoon, very few clouds, lots of sun, and just a tiny bit of wind.
    The scenery was pretty magnificent too.
    A wonderful view of the snow covered Sierra Nevada range with the back side of Heavenly right there too.

Shortly after I got there, the local fire department arrived and had a cold water rescue exercise on the frozen side of the pond.
    It was quite enlightening and entertaining watching and listening to their procedures.

Anyhow, my purpose for going was to get rid of this skunkin' streak that I've been on.

Well,...................................... NO SKUNKIN' FOR ME TODAY !!!!!

I went 3 for 5 (on hold overs) which ain't too bad considering the pond was nearly frozen over and it's the end of December too.

Two other spin fishermen there caught one each.

So I guess I'm ready to go back out and play with the big boys again.
    No more freakin' skunkin', no more freakin skunkin', neener neener neeener...............................

Wooo hooooooooooo...............................I'm going to sleep good tonight since I got THAT monkey off of my back.

Watch out Mr. and Ms. Cutthroat !!!!!! , I'll be re-visiting you soon with my lip piercing equipment................

And, since I was only a half hour away from home and knew I wouldn't be chilled to the bone.....................no small thermos of XXXXXXXXX soup for the ride home today !!!!

Bob