Thread: Loreto open date

Default Loreto open date

Hey guys,

This year I'll be in Loreto for 5 weeks. I messed up my dates with my number one guide, and he will be open for a week of fishing this year. If anybody is planing on fishing in Loreto this year and wants the best guide in Loreto let me know I can hook you up. I would like to see a fly guy use him as opposed to some bait guy

carlblackiedge@aol.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sailfish.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	15288  

What’s the open date period?

PV,

Today one of the board members hooked up with the guide in question. Now after that being said there are lots of opening dates left , just not with that guy. The last 10 days in June and the first 2 weeks in July are the red hot time to be in Loreto, the first part of the trip is good for Dorado and the last part is better for Rooster's the Billfish will are climbing in the boat just about at any time. Loreto is the cheapest big game trip in the World. anybody needs some free advice just email me carlblackiedge@aol.com
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 01-15-2020 at 05:31 PM.

If there's another board member that is looking for a partner I'm planning on going and need a person to share things with.
    I used to go there almost thirty years ago and it sounds better now.
    Give me a call if interested.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Okay, You don't have to call me now. I'm going to be fishing with Carl the second week of July and staying at the Oasis.

Time to start packing
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to fishing with you. You will be in the best boat in Loreto with the best guide and having a ball everyday catching Dorado-Rooster's-Sailfish and Marlin, sorry I don't do the rock fish thing and i can't stand to catch Skipjacks, however if it's a windy day and it's the only thing we can do-I'll do it LOL. PS I talked to my guide yesterday and there are already Sardina in the harbor

Carl Blackledge

It's really a neat thing to be looking forward to a place I haven't been to in a while. I loved it back then and I'm sure it'll be great again this year.

I was going there when Pam Boles used to have the Baja Big Fish Co. Her husband was one of the pangeros at the time, and I remember her having her first child in a crib on a dirt floor in her shop. The streets were dirt too at the time.

I bet a lot has changed. Looking forward to it.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

I was there when Pam was just starting out, she was on the right as you entered town, then she moved the shop every year.

Now there is a five star hotel across from the harbor called the"Mission" it's a nice place to eat and buy a pizza. The Oasis has very very good food, and two nights a week we get to eat free down the street at Augie's, he has free chicken wings and on another night he has free Tacos and they are outstanding. It seems Loreto just keeps getting better.

Tony you can send me an email and I can fill you in on flies-rods and lines, I am sure you have everything, If we have half the little Marlin we had last year you can count on knocking the rust off your Tibor several times a day. When you come home your arms will be 6 inchs longer.

Carl Blackledge

My family drove down to La Paz in a van 1973 which was the first year they had a paved road. It seemed like it took a week to get there. We camped along the way and gas supplies were spotty. We stopped in Loreto and there was a bakery where we loaded up. My mom hyped the bakery for a couple of days so we had something to look forward to. We went with a guy named Poppy who had been going down for many years on the dirt road in a Jeep that topped out at about 55 mph. He had a sailboat in La Paz and we went out to Espiritu Santo for a few days. A guy with us spearfished and I followed him in the dinghy and he threw his catch in it. It was quite an adventure and even more so when you are 10 years old. I have been several times since then and hope to go again. The Steinbeck book on the Sea of Cortez is really good. He was there in 1940.

That was some Bill style reminiscing. Have a great trip.

Wonderful John...sounds like you had interesting parents.

Maybe 40 years ago Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon, his girl friend Pam and buddy Steve Rice would go down to Baja in the winter.

Fred had a big Chevy 4x4 pickup with a cab over camper and an aluminum boat on top.

They would catch fish and trade them for other food to the locals in small town on the Sea of Cortez.

My uncle Dean, and my cousins Pat and Chris live in SoCal and went to the Bay of Los Angles 40 years ago.

I guess the fishing was insane back then with Yellowtail everywhere.

When I turned 21 (1966) my dad drove me to Ensenada, Mexico, just below Tijuana, to fish for a week.

We stayed in a little cottage on Estero Beach south of town. From the shore we caught Calico bass and halibut.

We went out on a party boat and I caught the biggest fish, a 9# Bonito, "fly lining" live anchovies.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........