Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drift boat vs raft vs something else.

Default Drift boat vs raft vs something else.

I'm done. I'm done just walking the banks, looking for fish, getting intel and trying to find secluded unpressured spots that may host fish by foot. I've had a few boats, but none specifically (or capable) of fly fishing. So the title question is what I am looking for, some guidance.

About me and my fishing style. I swing. A lot. I'll swing for steelhead and tiny trout alike. I am just starting to pick back up the one handers and diversifying a bit. Primarily the immediate waters would be: the lower american, yuba, feather and potentially the lower sac but I'd like something that may be capable of more than those. This is where it gets a little hazy.

Let's talk rowing skills, essentially I have none. I wouldn't be comfortable with rapids as of yet (not talking San Juan, real rapids) or potentially ever.

Let's forget that rafts are going to be able to go through gnarly water and the main question would be - "Why would I chose one over the other?". Durability is obviously one - what would be the others? The cost seems close if you keep them to the same size and you consider a new raft and a used drift boat.

I think it would be awesome to have a small/medium sized jet on the boat but completely understand that that will massively increase the price.

Any insights from the experienced? Thanks in advance.

40 years ago not many fly fishers floated rivers like they do now.

Drift boaters fished conventionally on long rivers like the Eel, Klamath and Rogue rivers pulling plugs and bouncing roe.

At that time I was a pretty serious Steelheader fishing the Klamath and Trinity a lot in the Fall.

Joe Shirshac of the Greatest Generation introduced some of us Baby Boomers to these two great rivers.

We drove the river roads, parked where we could, walked trails and wade fished with single hand fly rods.

Two top Steelheaders of the day, Mike Murphy and his cousin Denny, also loved the Trinity River.

For the first time they floated the middle Trinity in a raft? and reported to me that they were way more fishable

runs to fish if you floated the river rather than drove and walked in.

Also, access on the rivers is getting harder all the time making drifting more practical.

You almost never saw a boat on the lower American river until maybe 20-30 years ago?

I think drift boats are easier to hold in place and row against the current than a raft.

Rafts are more common on smaller rivers and shallow rivers with lots of rocks/boulders.

Power Drifters/Hybrids of a drift boat and outboard jet are getting popular.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've owned powered boats since 1994 and unpowered craft since the dawn of time! I've owned everything from a fast, high powered deep vee, to an 8 foot pram with an electric trolling motor. I currently have a 17' jet sled, and a 16' drift boat with a 5 HP kicker. In unpowered thingies, I've got so many of them, that my wife (and my son's wife!) get pissed because we don't have any more room to store them all! All of my toys have been primarily for fishing purposes, and no doubt about it, my most used and versatile toy is my Able Watermaster. Small, lightweight, easy to row, safe in moving water and light whitewater, incredibly useful, and you can launch/recover it virtually anywhere. Powered boats are nice, but you are restricted to developed launch sites, and some of the rivers you are interested in (American and LSAC) have speed limits to worry about, besides the obvious cost and weight penalties. I highly recommend for your first toy, a Watermaster (or equivalent) or one of the frameless pontoons (like Scadden's). I specialize in floating all of central valley rivers, from the Kings in the south to the LSAC in the north (and everything in between!) and a Watermaster (or equivalent) is by far the best and most versatile for what you want to do. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

Hi,
    I have a tandem inflatable kayak by Aire(caracal). I’ve kayaked the south fork American river (gorge section) a few times in the summer. I’ve also fished out of this kayak on the lower American and lakes. You can paddle upstream on some sections of the lower American river. I get out of my kayak to fish on the river

Pros. Very maneuverable, light and stores in a closet.
    Cons. Not that comfortable to sit in all day

Quote Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Hi,
    I have a tandem inflatable kayak by Aire(caracal). I’ve kayaked the south fork American river (gorge section) a few times in the summer. I’ve also fished out of this kayak on the lower American and lakes. You can paddle upstream on some sections of the lower American river. I get out of my kayak to fish on the river

Pros. Very maneuverable, light and stores in a closet.
    Cons. Not that comfortable to sit in all day
    Thanks for the info! I just actually sold a bunch of kayaks though. Hobie outbacks were my go to kayak, not conducive to fly fishing though. Possible just not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    I've owned powered boats since 1994 and unpowered craft since the dawn of time! I've owned everything from a fast, high powered deep vee, to an 8 foot pram with an electric trolling motor. I currently have a 17' jet sled, and a 16' drift boat with a 5 HP kicker. In unpowered thingies, I've got so many of them, that my wife (and my son's wife!) get pissed because we don't have any more room to store them all! All of my toys have been primarily for fishing purposes, and no doubt about it, my most used and versatile toy is my Able Watermaster. Small, lightweight, easy to row, safe in moving water and light whitewater, incredibly useful, and you can launch/recover it virtually anywhere. Powered boats are nice, but you are restricted to developed launch sites, and some of the rivers you are interested in (American and LSAC) have speed limits to worry about, besides the obvious cost and weight penalties. I highly recommend for your first toy, a Watermaster (or equivalent) or one of the frameless pontoons (like Scadden's). I specialize in floating all of central valley rivers, from the Kings in the south to the LSAC in the north (and everything in between!) and a Watermaster (or equivalent) is by far the best and most versatile for what you want to do. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!
    Honestly, I'd probably want something a little larger. I understand the limitations that brings but I am good with that. It's a trade off which I am willing to me. Initially I was thinking of a fully fledged drift boat, then I started looking at framed rafts. The rafts caught my eye as they potentially can handle more waters when captained by someone who was experienced. It might be something I could grow into but initially just stick to the waters I know.

My buddy and I got a low profile Hyde for $3800 and have had it on 12 different rivers in the seven years we have had it so it has been great. It opened up a lot of new fishing opportunities to us. We had a two man pontoon boat before that and the move to a drift boat felt like a big upgrade. If the water is too rough for a drift boat I don’t want to be on it. Class II+ is about my limit. Drift boats are a lot better with two people so think about who you can get to split the rowing with you or better yet split the cost. They are really easy to row so don’t worry about that. I had never rowed one and found it easy. Face your danger so you can row away from it.

Drift boats are nice but you have to deal with shuttling. Kayaks are nice but you have to paddle a ton upstream to float down stream. I have both and plan on selling my drift boat to get a small center console jet boat. I can put in and motor upstream and drift back on my own, going 5 mph on the river doesn't bother me one bit and it is easier than shuttling. Plus I can use the powered boat on the delta or lake if I wanted.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler76 View Post
    I'm done. I'm done just walking the banks, looking for fish, getting intel and trying to find secluded unpressured spots that may host fish by foot. I've had a few boats, but none specifically (or capable) of fly fishing. So the title question is what I am looking for, some guidance.

About me and my fishing style. I swing. A lot. I'll swing for steelhead and tiny trout alike. I am just starting to pick back up the one handers and diversifying a bit. Primarily the immediate waters would be: the lower american, yuba, feather and potentially the lower sac but I'd like something that may be capable of more than those. This is where it gets a little hazy.

Let's talk rowing skills, essentially I have none. I wouldn't be comfortable with rapids as of yet (not talking San Juan, real rapids) or potentially ever.

Let's forget that rafts are going to be able to go through gnarly water and the main question would be - "Why would I chose one over the other?". Durability is obviously one - what would be the others? The cost seems close if you keep them to the same size and you consider a new raft and a used drift boat.

I think it would be awesome to have a small/medium sized jet on the boat but completely understand that that will massively increase the price.

Any insights from the experienced? Thanks in advance.
    They all have their place, lots of pros and cons all around. Between rafts (not talking little rafts here, but bigger dependable models) and drift boats some of the bigger differences imo:
    Raft pros:
    More tolerant of boating errors
    Can be deflated for storage/transport
    Handle heavier loads better, if you ever want to do multi day floats
    Less issues getting over really shallow water, and MUCH quieter as well.
    Easier to utilize less than optimal access points, depending on how heavy your raft and frame is

Raft cons:
    Much more sluggish handling, you will work more to hold or maneuver in current... this does vary a lot depending on the raft, and is pretty much a non issue if you are not fishing out of the boat
    Do require a bit more maintenance and occasional repairs to get a long lifespan
    Not as stable standing or walking around in them, though this can be solved with platform frames.
    Can get wet from waves
    Not safe to use propane heaters onboard (I know some have done that, but it’s a bad idea!)

Drift boat pros:

Very enjoyable to row! They are very efficient at gliding along the water with less effort on the oars
    Dry ride
    Can use heaters on cold days
    Easier to fish from the boat
    Fiberglass and aluminum boats are very low maintenance, and will last a very long time

Cons:
    Need to back trailer to the water to put in and take out. Limiting your options, vehicle constraints can further limit options as many launch points are pretty rough.
    Less tolerant of boating errors.
    Very LOUD! Aluminum boats especially, make a lot of noise when you hit rocks, drop tools, etc.
    Need a safe place to park the boat for storage
    A bit more awkward (for some) getting in and out of the boat, especially if stepping in/out into knee deep water to fish, less of an issue on shore.

Those are some broad generalizations of course, as there is a wide variety of both raft/frame designs as well as drift boat designs. Lots of factors may or may not be significant depending on what rivers you’d like to fish. Just a couple more points to consider for you:
    One drawback of boats for fishing is that they are not as ideal for solo fishing. While there are smaller sized raft and kayak options for the single anglers, it is a very valid safety concern to have more than one person for floating rivers of any sort (obviously much more so in more remote locations, or in winter conditions). Shuttling the vehicle can be a hurdle in some more remote areas, especially for a solo angler.
    As far as your concerns/limitations about navigating “real rapids”, it’s a good thing to be cautious with rivers, however I would argue that an unskilled rower is probably at just as much risk in class 1-2 waters as an expert would be in class 4 waters. In other words: the dangers are more relative to your knowledge and understanding of river hydrology, hazards, your technique at the oars, and your technical knowledge and skill in dealing with a mishap. I don’t mean to sound negative on the risk side of things, as I personally feel more safe and relaxed floating a river than anywhere else; but at the same time I have personally lost a few friends over the years to the river. Things can happen, so it’s important to do what we can to minimize those risks where we can.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Skyler,

If you fish long enough you'll end up owning one of everything, my 2 cents