Thread: Pyramid Report 12/11/2019

Default Pyramid Report 12/11/2019

There was a break between storms today.

The perfect opportunity to hit the lake.
    Cloudy overcast skies, light wind, AND low temperatures in the 40's with highs in the 50's.

I've done quite a bit of reading the last couple of weeks of old Pyramid reports, as well as recent ones too.
    The "general consensus" is that this time of the year there is suppose to be an "afternoon bite".

Since I had "afternoon bite" dancing about in my head , I leisurely downed my morning coffee, packed the car and left home @ 8:20 this morning and 42 degrees.
    Gotta' like those warm fronts moving through..............................

I arrived at that "southern beach I like to frequent" around 9:30 and was on the water fishing by 9:45.
    There were 5 other fishermen in the water........................... and no Carmen to be seen..................

On a side note.................I just purchased some neoprene boot foot waders in hopes they'd keep my feet a little warmer than my neoprene stocking foot waders.

Well, my feet were quite comfortable in my new boot foot waders today and I only had one pair of thick socks on too. !!!!!!
    It was nice to to have room to wiggle my toes and feel them while wading. !!!
    I gotta' say, the boot foots are a definite upgrade !!!!!
    The only part of me that got cold today was my finger tips despite wearing poly-glove liners under my nitrile gloves.

I fished a 'cator for an hour or so then switched to stripping for an hour or so, then back to the 'cator for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, just as in my last three reports, I got zero, zilch, goose egg, nuthin', another big donut for me.
    ANOTHER DANG SKUNKIN'.

I know it's the full moon cycle now, but Dammmmmmmm............................
    The rigs that I've used with success in the past didn't even yield a strike !!!
    I did however, have a small fish grab my indicator from the surface and run with it till I pulled it out of his mouth...................and nope, that one didn't count.....................

Well since I had enough of "perpetual nothingness"................... YET AGAIN,................... I slogged out of the water @ 3:30 and 52 degrees.

So the beach tally today for the 6 anglers (as far as I could tell) was 3, 2, 1, 1, 0, 0.
    Yeah, that's right, I was one of those zeros......................

I guess I'm going to have to come up with a new plan.............maybe a stick or two of dynamite will do it.

For the ride home, a small thermos of Vegetable Beef soup with a couple of dashes of Tabasco.

Dang Cutthroats........................................ ...........

Bob

Bob, Always look forward to your colorful reports. Sorry that the fish didn't want to play. Seems like I have generally the same luck when I get up to Pyramid. Did catch a couple on albino winos last year in May.

Thanks for the fun to read reports. I agree that the boot foot neoprene waders are OK. I am not a ladder guy so am standing in the water too.

Dick

Good morning Bob I saw you yesterday. I was one of the six guys. I surmised from reading all your posts about not fishing on on a full moon the gentleman with the spray rod couldn't be you. I would have said hello and compared notes. I even thought of asking if it was you as I was leaving but my weather app said possible snow over the pass so I had to leave in a hurry. It was a shitty drive back home with flurries and a lot of rain on Hwy 80.
    I know you like the indo but what was working was the pulling. My beetle got two for me and the black leech got two more. Nothing big but one did go about 8lbs. I was filling in for Carmen I think I might even been in his spot-don't tell him ha!!! I really have fallen in love with the whole gestalt of the Pyramid experience. On any yank or pull of the fly line a giant behemoth of a trout could be sucking in your fly. Any beginner or a Carmen can be the one in that moment to get a fish of a lifetime. Of course its as pretty as it can be to add to the whole experience of Pyramid lake. Merry Christmas Bob if I don't see you there before. Thanks again too for your wonderful post Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Good morning Bob I saw you yesterday. I was one of the six guys. I surmised from reading all your posts about not fishing on on a full moon the gentleman with the spray rod couldn't be you. I would have said hello and compared notes. I even thought of asking if it was you as I was leaving but my weather app said possible snow over the pass so I had to leave in a hurry. It was a shitty drive back home with flurries and a lot of rain on Hwy 80.
    I know you like the indo but what was working was the pulling. My beetle got two for me and the black leech got two more. Nothing big but one did go about 8lbs. I was filling in for Carmen I think I might even been in his spot-don't tell him ha!!! I really have fallen in love with the whole gestalt of the Pyramid experience. On any yank or pull of the fly line a giant behemoth of a trout could be sucking in your fly. Any beginner or a Carmen can be the one in that moment to get a fish of a lifetime. Of course its as pretty as it can be to add to the whole experience of Pyramid lake. Merry Christmas Bob if I don't see you there before. Thanks again too for your wonderful post Bob.
    OMG !!!

I had a Bill Quinn sighting and I didn't even know it !!!!

Was that you fishing next to me on my right side later in the afternoon or were you the guy that left "Carmens spot" early-around 12:00-1:00 ish ???

I was SERIOUSLY considering not fishing yesterday because of the full moon, but I wanted to see if my new boot foots were going to help my cold feet problem.
    And, with the overcast day/light winds/mild temperatures and three prior skunkins' I just had to go.

Yes, I do like the indo, and yesterday I was pretty head strong about trying my go-to balanced leech/midge combo that's worked for me in the past..............late fall/winter.

OBVIOUSLY, that didn't work for me..................................

Tuggin' bugs is all well and good, and I'll do it, but I really dislike that long countdown before the strip.

Glad you made it back over the pass safely yesterday.
    There were some pretty mean looking clouds hanging over Mt. Rose and Slide Mountain on my way home.

And, Merry Christmas to you too Bill !!!

I'm VERY disappointed that we didn't get a chance to shake hands and chat.
    I'm sure we'll we'll run into each other out there at some point again.

Bob

I was the one farthest from you yesterday. The guy wearing the Cal hat in the morning and the Elmer Fudd hat in the afternoon. The handsome young face with the wickedly placed cast out into the lake every time. Well since this is the internet and I'm in my living room trying to recover from the long day yesterday, I have to express my inner youth with my old reality I knew you were not going to give up the indo. I kept looking over at you and you kept throwing throwing it out there enjoying your smokes. You looked in your element.

You inspired me to purchase a Stanley thermos to have something warm waiting for me after the cold air and water take their toll on this old body. Now just need your recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    I was the one farthest from you yesterday. The guy wearing the Cal hat in the morning and the Elmer Fudd hat in the afternoon. The handsome young face with the wickedly placed cast out into the lake every time. Well since this is the internet and I'm in my living room trying to recover from the long day yesterday, I have to express my inner youth with my old reality I knew you were not going to give up the indo. I kept looking over at you and you kept throwing throwing it out there enjoying your smokes. You looked in your element.

You inspired me to purchase a Stanley thermos to have something warm waiting for me after the cold air and water take their toll on this old body. Now just need your recipes

"trying to recover from the long day yesterday"
    Yep, likewise here. I woke up with an eyestrain headache this morning from the drive to and fro and staring at my "non-disappearing indicator".

"enjoying your smokes"
    Hummmmmmmm............................that nasty habit is going to the wayside January 1st.

"You inspired me to purchase a Stanley thermos to have something warm waiting for me after the cold air and water take their toll on this old body. "
    That sounds like something Santa Claus should bring you !!!!

"Now just need your recipes"
    Recipes.....ha.
    All of my recipes are.........go to the grocery store, find the canned soup isle, grab some cans of whatever looks good.......................

Bob