Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baum Lake

Default Baum Lake

The last time out on Baum lake last year, which was in late January, I had a field day with over 100 fish to hand. Its noted as a great winter fishery. I'm sure my luck last year had to do with the fact the planting schedule of the lake was every two weeks from September to that January.

I decided to go last week to see if I could have similar success. I noted though that the stocking of the lake was last stocked in September. I figured I knew the hatch well enough to still get a few bites. I lowered my expectations. When I drove up to launch my drift boat I came across a guy who was taking his pontoon boat out of the water to leave. We talked and he gave me good info. He also said he did get one fish over three pounds. He was quite happy. His total though was three over two days. I figured he wasn't knowledgeable about the lake, like I was, ha!!! I fished all day in a good amount of cold breeze and saw a few fish under the boat but not one came to the surface. It was nothing like last year. My total - I got skunked!!! I was terribly humbled

Not sure why the stocking program changed but still no excuse to go without a bite or one fish to hand to keep the skunk off. Anyone know what's going on with their strategy to keep the lake stocked? Ironically there is a fish hatchery on the lake property.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    The last time out on Baum lake last year, which was in late January, I had a field day with over 100 fish to hand. Its noted as a great winter fishery. I'm sure my luck last year had to do with the fact the planting schedule of the lake was every two weeks from September to that January. I decided to go last week to see if I could have similar success. I noted though that the stocking of the lake was last stocked in September. I figured I knew the
    hatch well enough to still get a few bites. I lowered my expectations. When i drove up to launch my drift boat I came across a guy who was taking his pontoon boat out of the water to leave. We talked and he gave me good info. He also said he did get one fish over three pounds. He was quite happy. His total though was three over two days. I figured he wasn't knowledgeable about the lake like I was ha!!!I fished all day in a good amount of cold breeze and saw a few fish under the boat but not one came to the surface. It was nothing like last year. My total-I got skunked!!! I was terribly humbled Not sure why the stocking program changed but still no excuse to go without a bite or one fish to hand to keep the skunk off. Anyone know whats going on with their strategy to keep the lake stocked? Ironically there is a fish hatchery on the lake property.
    Ahhhhh..................................Baum Lake.

When we lived in Magalia & Chico I'd do Baum trip once or twice a year.

I too have had those 100+ fish days there, and been skunked a few times too.

I can't help you much with the Baum Lake stocking strategy, but in 1990 I proposed to my wife on the north western shore on a summer afternoon.

That day I DIDN'T get skunked...............

Bob

Did you try pulling attractor type flies ?

Or midge under indicator ?

Have success when not seeing hatches with those tactics.

That said been blanked at least once there - they say it's good for the soul er!

Awe that's a sweet story Bob. Way better than catching stupid fish too

I tried every thing in my box, midges, attractors, balanced leeches, wiggle tails, everything but drys. It was quite humbling.

I was there a couple weeks ago, I landed a few but it was slow. Last December I got skunked there. Late January this year was really good for me. I seem to recall somebody here said the hatchery released all of their fish at the beginning of the year?

Yeah me too a fair few times

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I was there a couple weeks ago, I landed a few but it was slow. Last December I got skunked there. Late January this year was really good for me. I seem to recall somebody here said the hatchery released all of their fish at the beginning of the year?
    This is a really sad commentary. Baum Lake has become a dumping ground for hatchery-reared trout, because of its proximity to the Crystal Lake Hatchery. And that is nothing less than a travesty, as this "wide spot" in the Hat Creek system is home to the Pit River strain of rainbow trout that is found in Fall River, Rising River, and lower Hat Creek (below the Hat 2 powerhouse). This is a beautiful fish, rarely caught in Baum Lake anymore, because of over-harvesting from bait anglers. (Unfortunately, these fish are highly susceptible to a well-presented nightcrawler). And DFW, despite my persistant entreaties, has no interest in managing Baum Lake as a wild trout fishery. This is a shame, because with enhanced spawning habitat, a zero bag limit, and gear restrictions, this could be a wonderful wild trout fishery. Photo attached.

Baum Pit River Strain.jpg
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

With its clear water and natural biomass this could be a great catch and release wild trout fishery. I agree whole hardheartedly with you.

They just started planting fish!