The last time out on Baum lake last year, which was in late January, I had a field day with over 100 fish to hand. Its noted as a great winter fishery. I'm sure my luck last year had to do with the fact the planting schedule of the lake was every two weeks from September to that January.

I decided to go last week to see if I could have similar success. I noted though that the stocking of the lake was last stocked in September. I figured I knew the hatch well enough to still get a few bites. I lowered my expectations. When I drove up to launch my drift boat I came across a guy who was taking his pontoon boat out of the water to leave. We talked and he gave me good info. He also said he did get one fish over three pounds. He was quite happy. His total though was three over two days. I figured he wasn't knowledgeable about the lake, like I was, ha!!! I fished all day in a good amount of cold breeze and saw a few fish under the boat but not one came to the surface. It was nothing like last year. My total - I got skunked!!! I was terribly humbled

Not sure why the stocking program changed but still no excuse to go without a bite or one fish to hand to keep the skunk off. Anyone know what's going on with their strategy to keep the lake stocked? Ironically there is a fish hatchery on the lake property.