Thread: Yuba report 12/5

Default Yuba report 12/5

I decided to head up to the Yuba today and get in some fishing before the rains slam in this weekend. The river continues to fish very well. Flows are a little high at 2000+ cfs, but very fish-able. The water is very clear. The last few salmon are still around, and by looking at the number of redds, it must have been a decent salmon run this year. The fish are definitely fattened up from gorging on eggs the last couple of months. These were the largest trout I have seen since the 2017 blowout, and numbers are good. The crowds were very light today as well.

I nymphed all day. Again, anything that resembled a stonefly was eaten at some point or another. Patience was key, and being sure to adjust leader lengths for the different runs generally resulted in good things. I would expect that egg imitations would do well also, but I did not fish them. I did see one rise today! There were midges out in the am, but no action on them. They were followed by some mayflies in the early afternoon.

You'll need a good truck wash after getting home!

Thanks for the excellent report....

Nice to hear about the good salmon run.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    I decided to head up to the Yuba today and get in some fishing before the rains slam in this weekend. The river continues to fish very well. Flows are a little high at 2000+ cfs, but very fish-able. The water is very clear. The last few salmon are still around, and by looking at the number of redds, it must have been a decent salmon run this year. The fish are definitely fattened up from gorging on eggs the last couple of months. These were the largest trout I have seen since the 2017 blowout, and numbers are good. The crowds were very light today as well.

I nymphed all day. Again, anything that resembled a stonefly was eaten at some point or another. Patience was key, and being sure to adjust leader lengths for the different runs generally resulted in good things. I would expect that egg imitations would do well also, but I did not fish them. I did see one rise today! There were midges out in the am, but no action on them. They were followed by some mayflies in the early afternoon.

You'll need a good truck wash after getting home!

Completely jealous- hit the Y last week w a buddy and fished our tails off, saw stones, some caddis and never got a bump- either of us!

Most of my hook-ups were working soft seams of riffles and they came in groups. The fish seem to be podded up a bit in places and were still hanging around redds. After 2-3 hookups, that area shut down and it was time to move down a bit. You could cross the river, but only in a few selective places. I was the first and only guy working the area, so that sure helped as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Most of my hook-ups were working soft seams of riffles and they came in groups. The fish seem to be podded up a bit in places and were still hanging around redds. After 2-3 hookups, that area shut down and it was time to move down a bit. You could cross the river, but only in a few selective places. I was the first and only guy working the area, so that sure helped as well.
    Thanks for a great report.
    The Yuba used to be my home river and holds a special place in my heart.
    No plans to head up anytime soon, but from your description I felt like I was right there with you.
    Thanks again.
    S

The Yuba was a beautiful steelhead green this morning. Fish were modestly receptive to swung flies for me.