Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter is for the "commando" fly fishers?

Default Winter is for the "commando" fly fishers?

Fly fishing in North America in the winter, Dec/Jan/Feb, is for the younger crowd who have open arteries.

Eagle Lake, Pyramid Lake, Winter Steelheading, low elevation reservoirs, and the Delta are places to go for some winter fun.

Lots of low elevation small reservoirs get trout plantings like Rancho Seco, Lake Amador, Pardee Reservoir.

Or you can go South......?

For many years I have met people who have RVed down into Baja every winter.

Florida is a good choice for winter fishing....Black Bass spawn Dec-Feb with March being a top month.

What are your plans for this winter?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Bill,

Re: "What are your plans for this winter?"

The Kings, Kern & Owens mostly.

I hate winter. I hate cold. Give me anything warm. Warm salty water, palm trees , coconuts, and pina coladas. Thumbs up.

I've been thinking seriously about Fiji and Tahiti. Tahiti is more expensive. Fiji has all kinds of discounted flights going on right now.

There's a good looking fishing outfit I've been talking with called Hidden Gem that is just on the outskirts of Nadi in Denareu.

Do you guys watch Survivor ? That's all filmed in the Fiji islands just off the main island Veti Levu. There's tons of shuttles that will take you anywhere you want to get dropped off. Fish for a day or a week. Lots of GTs and trevally.

Geez. I'm talking myself into it right now. Lets go.
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 12-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I"m doing a lot of research on Fiji, Samoa and Bora Bora. My wife's cousin lived in Fiji for 15 years, she's trying to contact a couple people she knows. Looks like an exploratory trip is in line
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Tuesday AM we are going out in neighbor Jim's 19' skiff because the weather report here in Sebastian, Florida is "high of 83, sunny with 8 mph wind".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	15189
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Be aware that fly fishing in places like Fiji and Samoa is limited to boat fishing as there's little or no flats to wade.

In the Cook Islands the Aitutaki lagoon is an option, but again the best fish are to be had out of a guided skiff.

New Caledonia probably has the biggest Bonefish found anywhere but it's for experienced anglers, plus $750 for a Guide and permission sought (bribe) from locals if you want to do it yourself. I'm speaking of the north of the island which is a hellava trip to get there in itself. There's a very limited window for wade sight fishing (only really 40 days a year of appropriate tides) and the tribal rivalries prevent access to the full range of flats available to fish full days, plus take out cloudy and excessively windy days and its a tough fishery.

Most should go for a week to Christmas Island to get lots of experience with Bonefishing before they go to somewhere else that will be much harder.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Although I can no longer categorize myself as young, despite my best imitations each weekend, winter for me is Yuba for trout and Trinity, Ca Coast and OP time for steelhead. With the clothing options out there today, it is almost impossible to be cold for any length of time, and hell, when it happens, that's why you brought the little flask of Jameson's along? Those Patagonia, long sleeved thermal hoodies are worth their weight in gold.

Call me weird, but I don't mind a day of 3" of rain, fishing in a forest, as long as I am ahead of the color change in the water. I don't want to do that all season long, but a couple of those days are what makes a season. We still talk about the day on the OP 5 years ago when we had to bail our boat 9 times from the rain that fell during the drift. God bless Gortex. I bought a jacket online last year from this outfit named Dryft out of Washington. It passed the OP rain test and is a very warm jacket as well, great for Steellhead weather.

Anyhow, below are a couple of Steelhead fishing pictures. How can you not love the weather and beauty of these rivers. And, nothing like cooking up a rib lunch during a downpour in the Olympic National Park!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	op1.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	15192 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	op2.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	15191

I love yubaman's post......Although his 59 is way younger than my 74.

I have an old photo somewhere of my late old friend, book keeper and fishing partner Neil C. Hansen on the Trinity river in the winter while it was raining (1970s).

He was maybe 60 then, had on a Woolrich wool shirt jacket, Hodgman boot foot waders, old fishing vest.

He was smoking a Lucky Strike cigarette and drinking a cup of streaming hot coffee.

This picture is so powerful......if I ever find it I will post it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

The only thing that keeps me off the water in winter is high winds. The bass fishing in California is amazing in the winter and the weather really thins the herd. I was the only boat on Melones on Wednesday.
    The fish are already wet.