Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice for Epic Steelhead Trip

Default Need Advice for Epic Steelhead Trip

Hi. Trying to plan an epic steelhead trip for my 50th could use some guidance from the pros here. Looking for beautiful fly swinging or nymph bobbing rivers. My cursory list is:

Rogue (Feb/March)
    Smith (Feb/March) Is this a swing river?
    Quinalt (Feb/March)

Deschutes (Sept)
    Salmon River Idaho (Sept?)
    Skeena System (March or Sept?)

Thanks!

I'd also suggest looking into the Situk river in Yakutat, southeast Alaska in April/May. Steelhead fishing can be fantastic with double digit days of large (up to 20 lb, average seemed to be 10-12) wild steelhead. It's a small river and nymphing is much more productive than swinging unfortunately. Beautiful rain forest area with lots of bears and moose in Tongass National Forest, and despite being a small town, there are direct flights out of Seattle on Alaska airlines.

A trip id like to do if i go back there is a week long float in an inflatable or rent a drift boat; there are spots to camp along the river.

Also, yes id say the Smith is definitely a swing river, long casts and heavy tips/flies are necessary.

Good luck, I just did my first long steelhead trip this fall on the Klamath, swinging flies all day long for 15 days. Id highly suggest the Klamath in Oct-Nov for high numbers of smaller wild steelhead, maybe this year was a really good run or my timing was just lucky though, it was my first time on the Klamath.

The other thing id add is that a summer/fall SH trip would be much less riskier to plan way ahead in terms of the river being blown out from storms during the winter season. Itd be a major drag to go all the way to fish the BC rivers and have everything blown out. I have a hard time planning my winter trips up north more than a week or two in advance.

I would add the Hoh, Sol Duc, Queets and Bogachiel to your epic trip to Quinnault and head up to the Olympic Peninsula. All rivers fish well and have great water to swing in. The Lower Hoh has some awesome water to swing in that is easily accessible from the road. February/ March is when the largest wild fish are usually found.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    I would add the Hoh, Sol Duc, Queets and Bogachiel to your epic trip to Quinnault and head up to the Olympic Peninsula. All rivers fish well and have great water to swing in. The Lower Hoh has some awesome water to swing in that is easily accessible from the road. February/ March is when the largest wild fish are usually found.
    Most Washington steelhead fisherman I know are done with the Olympic Peninsula rivers; low returns and very crowded conditions.
    Robert

I would recommend the Klamth, Rogue, Deschutes and Grande Ronde rivers in October for a fairly safe trip.

Runs on these rivers do vary year to year though.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Steelhead returns have have dropped for sure, but with that there is no bait allowed on OP rivers any longer, so it is only fly and artificial lure only. And with that, it is single fly only. This has resulted in a much lower fisherman population on the OP rivers. Most days, we do not see another boat, and when we do, it's 1-2.

Now, you could be in for some real Steelheading weather, especially during early February.

It’s a good list to start with. Run from there.

A numbers of year back a buddy and I did a week of running up north to chase steel, we had a storm that followed us the whole time.
    Every river we hit, there was heavy rain and wind an hour or two behind us. Everything looked great for a small window and then it dumped on us. Spent more time in waders than anything else.

We didn’t catch shit.

We didn’t care.

To this day it’s one of the best trips I’ve ever been on.

Definitely depends on what makes a trip “epic” for you. Most of the legendary steelhead streams are legendary for good reasons, and any of them could certainly provide a very memorable experience. Of course catching is always an uncertainty (at best), especially in the winter months. Some of my personal favorites, like the Smith, are also some the least likely to produce any fish to hand. The Klamath and Rogue can be much better producers for smaller fish, even there it’s quite possible to go days without a hookup... especially in the winter months.
    Maybe a sorting out of what makes an epic trip would help:
    -Higher catch rates
    -bigger fish
    -wild fish
    -good swinging conditions
    -scenery
    -solitude
    -camping/lodging options
    Etc...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    It’s a good list to start with. Run from there.

A numbers of year back a buddy and I did a week of running up north to chase steel, we had a storm that followed us the whole time.
    Every river we hit, there was heavy rain and wind an hour or two behind us. Everything looked great for a small window and then it dumped on us. Spent more time in waders than anything else.

We didn’t catch shit.

We didn’t care.

To this day it’s one of the best trips I’ve ever been on.

I had to chuckle at this. Man can I relate! Sounds like most of my great steelhead fishing adventures
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown