Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN RIVER is open

Jeff,

That's a very hypothetical question. If I was down there and the water was low and clear I would be tossing a little gold comet-the red boss-the black boss or even a rabbit strip fly, those four are the most popular sellers. At this time of year the Rabbit strip flies are the most popular. hope that helps you?

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Jeff,

That's a very hypothetical question. If I was down there and the water was low and clear I would be tossing a little gold comet-the red boss-the black boss or even a rabbit strip fly, those four are the most popular sellers. At this time of year the Rabbit strip flies are the most popular. hope that helps you?

Carl Blackledge
    Ok cool. I just bought some of your new ones.......the black rabbit strip with blue accents and the orange bead. Looking forward to trying them out.........if the river ever comes into shape. Thanks Carl.

I think that the Russian River is the closest river to Sacramento that has wild and hatchery Steelhead.

You need to get as much into as possible and start going over there as long as it is not totally blown out from huge rains.

I think December through February would be a window for Winter Steelheading.

If you can go out with a Russian river veteran or a local guide you would shorten your learning curve.

Not sure but if the fishing is in the lower river near tide water it might be a single handed situation.

You need to put your time in learning this river which is quite different that the Klamath, Trinity, American, Etc.

It is really effected by the rains.....some year I can imagine it is never fishable?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When we lived in Napa I used to fish the Russian a lot. Sometimes even after work I'd drive over to Cassini Ranch and fish till dark. Comets were always my favorite fly there, mostly dark colors like purple or black with very little sparkle or flash.

More recently I've been fishing the Russian higher up in the system between Coyote Dam down to Cloverdale and down more to Warm Springs.

At both of the hatcheries, Coyote and Warm Springs, they punch holes in the tails of the steelhead they have spawned. One hatchery punches holes at the top of the tail while the other hatchery punches holes at the bottom of the tail. This allows the F&G people to identify where the steelhead was spawned and help to better track their migration patterns.

What was most amazing to me was that some of the steelhead that were released back into the river, after spawning, would move both ways again and continue to try and spawn a second time. Some of the fish would be spawned at Warm Springs and then swim all the ways up to Coyote hatchery. And the same thing in reverse. Some of the spawned fish from Coyote hatchery would swim all the way down to Warm Springs and try to spawn again before heading back down the Russian and out to sea.

Pretty amazing feat when they've got the urge.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Kinda shows you how stupid hatchery fish are? After saying that I am glad to have the "stupid ones" then none at all

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 12-19-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Jeff,

That Black rabbit strip with the candy blue underbelly is one of the best selling flies in the store. So now this year I make them in all color combinations, I think the pink and purple would be killer for the Silvers and the Steelhead. Soon as the River drops below 1000 CFS I'll be going down there, perhaps I can talk Bill into joining me ?

Carl Blackledge

Some hatchery fish make the journey all the way up to Coyote hatchery in Ukiah, instead of swimming up Dry Creek to the Warm Springs hatchery, right? I know it's a dumb question probably, but I've been perplexed when I've heard gear fisherman say that there are only wild fish above Dry Creek, because I figured most Coyote bound hatchery fish still enter from the mouth in Jenner.

I'm probably going to fish upper river like Cloverdale or Hopland Sat AM before the rains come as the viz will probably be too poor for my usual Guerneville to Monte Rio float.

A friend of mine put eyes on the river in Cloverdale this afternoon and said it looked like coffee with cream. I am still going to go to the Geyserville area Saturday morning. If anything a good hike down river and practice with the switch rod.

Sean

50 years ago a legendary fly fisher told me that I would have a better chance of catching fish if my fly was in the water.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Grassgrower View Post
    A friend of mine put eyes on the river in Cloverdale this afternoon and said it looked like coffee with cream. I am still going to go to the Geyserville area Saturday morning. If anything a good hike down river and practice with the switch rod.

Sean
    It's very muddy in Healdsburg today. Zero visibility.

As for the hatchery.......I went up to Warm Springs last year to have a look. I was shocked by the number of fish that were stacked up in Dry Creek and the hatchery "raceways". They're definitely doing something right at that hatchery.