Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN RIVER is open

With the steady light rain has it slowed the improvement in color? Thinking about hiking down from Geyserville bridge.

Thanks again for the intel!

Sean

I used to fish that bridge access when I lived in Calistoga, good spot for Smallmouth too in warmer months. Think the clarity would be good that far up river this weekend, not sure how many fish are up that far yet, but could be good. I think most fish up there would be wild as its upstream of dry creek where all the hatchery fish go.

Hey guys- any updates on water conditions- may try this weekend. Down to 1450 today at HAC. What do you think good target flow would be?

Thanks. - I’m in berkeley And may drive up anyway just to get some casts in… It’s been a while since I’ve had the long rods out.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Hey guys- any updates on water conditions- may try this weekend. Down to 1450 today at HAC. What do you think good target flow would be?

Thanks. - I’m in berkeley And may drive up anyway just to get some casts in… It’s been a while since I’ve had the long rods out.

Jim
    Conditions are fishable = 1139 cfs (and dropping) at Hacienda Bridge but not a lot of fish in the system yet. No rain in forecast until Wednesday. GO!

Thanks. I did go… And the water was fine. I had a great day fishing. Didn’t see any fish caught, -Nor did I get any action. Started at Wohler but it was crowded so I moved up - Westside rd. I don’t really have a feel for the river these days… It’s been quite a while since I fiShed it. Generally speaking, is it typical winter run fishing with Skagit lines and heavy tips and larger flys? I have gotten a lot of conflicting advice over the years About what type of water to fish and what to use, etc.

I like swinging big winter SH flies like intruders and rabbit fur flies, but traditionally a lot of the fly fisherman used smaller flies like bosses and comets (there used to not be low flow closures early in season). Ill use something smaller like that if the waters really clear, but feel like my chances are better with a bigger fly when the waterss murkier. Getting deep enough is pretty important, as the winter fish dont seem to chase a swung fly as much as summer runs do. I know some people do well nymphing beads and glo bugs especially from a boat, and of course the roe fisherman catch the most fish.

Most of the local fly guys on the Russian river let the clarity of the water dictate what size fly they use. Most of the wild fish come in December and January. Towards the end of February and around the first of march the river has the most fish ,including a bunch of down-streamers and tons of hatchery fish, my information comes from the warm springs hatchery who receive more fish in the first two weeks of March then any other time of year...that's my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 12-17-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Most of the local fly guys on the Russian river let the clarity of the water dictate what size fly they use. Most of the wild fish come in December and January and towards the end of February and around the first of march the river has the most fish ,including a bunch of down-streamers and tons of hatchery fish, my information comes from the warm springs hatchery who receive more fish in the first two weeks of March then any other time of year...that's my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    Hey Carl! Are you the guy who supplies all those steelhead flies at the Outdoor Shop in Cotati?

Jeff,

Yes sir that's me.

I have tied all the steelhead flies for the Outdoor pro shop since the day they opened at least 20 years ago.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Jeff,

Yes sir that's me.

I have tied all the steelhead flies for the Outdoor pro shop since the day they opened at least 20 years ago.

Carl Blackledge
    That's cool. I've bought quite a few of them (the Comet type ones). Is there one color that you've noticed that gets the most action on the Russian (when the water is green)?