Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN RIVER is open

Default RUSSIAN RIVER is open

Hey guys,

I just received an email from Kings Sport on the Russian river, They say it's open and a few fish were caught, both WILD & hatchery, after the heavy rain that's expected in the next few days....it should be ready to rock and roll

Carl Blackledge

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm planning to fish the Russian more often this season ........weather permitting.

I work in Healdsburg and drive over the river twice a day on Hwy 101. The river is currently muddy (shocker!). Supposed to go up over 5000cfs this weekend. So, it's gonna be a while before it's fishable, even if it doesn't rain again for a week or so. However, when it does drop into shape, there should be lots of fish in the river.

~Jeff

I had the day off work today and got to do a solo float on the russian from johnsons to montE rio bridge. Hooked and quickly lost one nice fish probably 6-8 lbs right after launching, i was pretty happy with that as its much better than most days i have swinging for winter fish. I like doing that float as its very close to home and there is not a lot of boat traffic with the summer bridge diversion, much easier getting around it with my one man pontoon. I was not expecting much with the river at 798 cubes this morning, but found the visibility was actually decent in that section of the river.. Its definitleu stained black, as it always is after the first rain due to tannins from crushed grape skins among other things, but fishable, unlike the coffee with creamer color when its blown. Maybe there was a slide further up river in healdsburg? The river should be good when it drops after this next rain

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    I had the day off work today and got to do a solo float on the russian from johnsons to montE rio bridge. Hooked and quickly lost one nice fish probably 6-8 lbs right after launching, i was pretty happy with that as its much better than most days i have swinging for winter fish. I like doing that float as its very close to home and there is not a lot of boat traffic with the summer bridge diversion, much easier getting around it with my one man pontoon. I was not expecting much with the river at 798 cubes this morning, but found the visibility was actually decent in that section of the river.. Its definitleu stained black, as it always is after the first rain due to tannins from crushed grape skins among other things, but fishable, unlike the coffee with creamer color when its blown. Maybe there was a slide further up river in healdsburg? The river should be good when it drops after this next rain
    Nice! If you don't mind saying, what fly did you hook that fish with? And what type of water?

I did notice the river clearing a little yesterday too.

ey Jeff i hooked it on a large purple and black intruder with heavy chain link eyes. I tried different colors throughout the day, when the rivers high my instinct is always black and large but read an interesting article recently about bright colors like orange and pink in high murky water and have been experimenting. Was using opsts new commando groove intermediate skagit head, think its going to help me get deeper this season. And 10’ of T-11. It was in the middle of the first riffle downstream of johnsons beach. Many guys with decades of experience on the russian have told me to not bother with the riffles and that the fish are in deeper slower glides, and im sure its true most of the time, but ive also got 2 other wild fish in the past out of a different riffle in the lower river, so theyre definitley holding in that water sometimes. It was a lucky start to the season, last winter i didnt land a single fish on the russian and gualala. Probably will be my only grab this winter ��

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    ey Jeff i hooked it on a large purple and black intruder with heavy chain link eyes. I tried different colors throughout the day, when the rivers high my instinct is always black and large but read an interesting article recently about bright colors like orange and pink in high murky water and have been experimenting. Was using opsts new commando groove intermediate skagit head, think its going to help me get deeper this season. And 10’ of T-11. It was in the middle of the first riffle downstream of johnsons beach. Many guys with decades of experience on the russian have told me to not bother with the riffles and that the fish are in deeper slower glides, and im sure its true most of the time, but ive also got 2 other wild fish in the past out of a different riffle in the lower river, so theyre definitley holding in that water sometimes. It was a lucky start to the season, last winter i didnt land a single fish on the russian and gualala. Probably will be my only grab this winter ��
    Cool. Thanks for info.

River is very muddy right now. But that prevents a sea lion massacre at Jenner, and fish can come into the river unscathed.

Hi Jeff. Much improvement in water color since yesterday? I'm over in Napa Valley and thinking of heading over on Friday or Saturday if it doesn't rain too hard the next few days.

Thanks,

Sean

It was a khaki color in monte rio and guerneville when i passed this morning, but its dropping fast. Went from 2020 to 1770 from this morning to now, should be pretty good this visibility by weekend maybe sooner