Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RUSSIAN RIVER is open

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    It's very muddy in Healdsburg today. Zero visibility.

As for the hatchery.......I went up to Warm Springs last year to have a look. I was shocked by the number of fish that were stacked up in Dry Creek and the hatchery "raceways". They're definitely doing something right at that hatchery.
    It helps when the Russian is in flood stage and no one is fishing.

"Something right"....???
    So we can count seven thousand fish trapped behind a closed gate in a four foot wide stream.....the HARVEST of fish was approximately twenty thousand fish annually from this river.
    There is (was?) rearing ponds below Coyote dam in Ukiah from where they are (were?) released. Hence, fish in the upper river. Now IF the adipose fins were clipped.....walla.....hatchery fish. IF NOT clipped.....double walla.....WILD fish as per the powers that be. So glad clipped fins determine our wild fish and not deformed dorsal fins. A WILD steelhead of even five pounds will have a dorsal fin of at least two inches in height looking like a perfect sail.
    Warmsprings needs a LOT of improving and let us begin with a GOOD, WORKABLE, PLUNGEPOOL FISHLADDER.
    ....LEE S.

Has anybody been to the Cafe in Guerneville and seen the Russian River map Bill Schaadt painted?

I was in there once and was surprised to see it. I asked and the said the word was he painted it to pay his tab at the bar next to the cafe. They also said people had asked about buying it and if you wanted it you had to buy the whole building. It is about 4x8. He signed it in the lower left corner. I found a picture of it on Flickr. Hopefully the link below works.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dumbea...in/photostream

John,

It used to be called "Pat's" It is still there, I am not sure that's a true story of he painted it to settle his bar tab. But maybe.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    50 years ago a legendary fly fisher told me that I would have a better chance of catching fish if my fly was in the water.
    A very wise person! Not sure you can reach a riffle from florida though?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    It helps when the Russian is in flood stage and no one is fishing.
    Yep. Muddy water also helps the fish get through the sea lion guantlett at Jenner.