Thread: Pyramid Report 11/25/2019

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pyramid Report 11/25/2019

Here goes.....................................

After waiting out the full moon, doing yard leaf clean up, kid sitting my sick grandson for three days, cars in and out of the shop for preventative maintenance, waiting out hurricane force winds at the lake,.......................................hummm. .........what else grounded me...............

A pretty significant storm is headed our way and scheduled to hit here on Tuesday afternoon.
    We're "suppose" to get between 6 and 8 inches of snow between Tuesday and Friday here in Carson City.
    That kind of pushed me into doing a brief, much needed visit to Pyramid today.
    Unfortunately, the wind gods weren't going to play "nice" today.

So, I got the grandson walked to the bus stop then packed up the car and was on the road at 8:30.
    Arrived at Wino at 9:45 and didn't see pal Carmen.
    There were a few people camping there and no one fishing.
    The wind was blowing pretty hard from the northwest, whitecaps and rollers were crashing into the beach, and there was a pretty large mud line off shore.

Well, Wino wasn't going to be fishable for me so I decided to check out Sandhole.

Sandhole had a half dozen or so folks fishing on the lee side of the beach and was a little too crowded for me.

So next I decided to check out the lee side of Indian Head.
    At the beach there was a really large mud line, perhaps a hundred feet out off shore and a pretty good rip tide along the shore too.
    That was enough for me to pass on Indian Head.

Since I was running out of beach options, I decided to check out Separator and Pelican.

I kind of scoped out Separator from the road and it didn't look too inviting with the wind and wave direction.
    Onward I went up to Pelican.

There were just a few people fishing the beach at Pelican and about a dozen fishing on the rocks.

The water at the beach had a small ~10 foot mud line and past the mud line the water was slightly cloudy.
    The wind was quartering from behind left to right and there weren't any rollers.

That was good enough for me to give it a try !!!!!

I suited up and was on the water @ 11:00.
    I left my stripping rig in the car due to the wind strength and direction.......I didn't feel like taking a clouser or beetle to the back of my head today.

While fishing I saw two fish right at the shoreline roll on something and a couple further out roll on top.

I tried 4 different colors of balanced leeches, a Tui-Chub balanced minnow, and 4 different colors of midges and got ABSLOUTELY NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No strikes, hits, bumps, takes, nothing................................
    Another big zero for me today.
    A Tomato juice bath.................. again tonight !!!!

I decided to "bug out" @ 2:15 a bit cold (was 38 degrees when I left) and disappointed with my day.......AGAIN.
    I didn't see any fish hooked or landed at Pelican today either.

For the ride home, a small thermos of Dinty Moore beef stew with a couple of shakes of salt and pepper, a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and a couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce.
    The Dinty Moore stew really needs all of that.

Dang Cutthroats..............................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 11-25-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks for these reports. Good fishing karma would say that you are due for a day with a couple monster cuts! K
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

looks like you've paid your dues Bob- next trip is gonna slay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    looks like you've paid your dues Bob- next trip is gonna slay.
    Ha !!!

"Good fishing karma" and "paid your dues"............................

One would think.................

I'm starting to get an "I suck big time" complex.

Bob

I don't fish the 'Mid a ton, and my success is hit and miss. I do think weather and moon matter. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of it is just a simple 'its a huge lake with not a ton of fish per square foot, and there is not a fish swimming by my offering at the time I'm there' thing.

Friends were up there last week. Fewer fish, but some big 'uns.
    !5-lb-ers; mostly stripping,
    Do we refer to this as our "ladder days" of fishing?
    Sorry!
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego - getting our second rain of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Do we refer to this as our "ladder days" of fishing?

Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego - getting our second rain of the season.
    I don't know about "ladder days" of fishing...........................but............. ........

There certainly haven't been any "ladder day saints" helping me out at the lake thus far.
    You deserved that one Larry............................

Oh, and I enjoyed shoveling our first snow this morning.........................NOT !!!

Bob