Thread: Tippet spool retainers

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Default Tippet spool retainers

Has anyone found a good way to secure the ends of tippets on these little 2.5 inch spools? They come with an elastic retainer with a metal hole from which the tippet extends. These elastic retainers work fine for a short while but they quickly stretch out of shape and before long I fight a constant battle of long loose ends of tippet tangling on everything it can find. If I have my tippet spools hung off my lumbar pack, I soon find tippet wrapping around my pack, my legs, the end of my fly rod, etc. I've tied an overhand knot in the elastic retainer, which tightens it up for awhile, but before long it is loose again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tippet spool retainers.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	15146

I posted a reply to you on Blanton's board. https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/v...-spool-tenders

I do what fisheye says. I have also made "tenders" for larger spools like maxima size. It works for thread spools too. Easy after you figure what length of elastic works best for the spool that you are trying to "tend".
    Dick

Thanks for posting the link to that video. Looks like a good answer provided the elastic braid lasts longer than the elastic braid used by the tippet manufacturers. Otherwise, better make a bunch of those. Thanks again.

I don't understand why fly guys want a bunch of spools on a lanyard flopping around on your chest? I just take a few spools and put them in my vest pocket out of the sun and away from any bushes I may also go through....I guess it's just me? I like things plain and simple.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    I don't understand why fly guys want a bunch of spools on a lanyard flopping around on your chest? I just take a few spools and put them in my vest pocket out of the sun and away from any bushes I may also go through....I guess it's just me? I like things plain and simple.

Carl
    Well said and can't agree more.

Bob

I fully agree with Carl and BS on this. Moreover, while I accept the point that the sun is less harmful to fluorocarbon, I fish a pile of 6X tippet and I refuse to take even the slightest chance of any degradation to my tippet material. Hence, tippet spools are kept in a pocket. Just me...

Best, Bob

Doesn't matter if the spools are on a lanyard, in a lumbar pack, in a waterproof boat bag, or in your pocket. If that little elastic strap is loose, coils of tippet come loose and I still have to take time to straighten them out.

Jeff,

I would prefer to have the Tippet mess in my pocket and away from the sun, compared to having it hang off me danging from my chest and tripping over it, but that's just me. I do agree if the tippet spool gets loose it's a mess, I usually use a fat rubber band to hold the material on the spool.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    I posted a reply to you on Blanton's board. https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/v...-spool-tenders
    Thanks for this. I made myself a few. I had some 1/4" tubing but also got some 3/16" fuel line tubing. The 3/16" works better with the 1/4" heat shrink tubing. It's a struggle to get the 1/4" heat shrink over the 1/4" tubing and the elastic. Even made some larger ones for the blue Ande wrist skeins with the two blue outer rings that don't seem to stay attached. Now, we'll use the test of time to see how long the elastic lasts.