Thread: Bamboo Spey Blanks from Anglers Roost

Default Bamboo Spey Blanks from Anglers Roost

Wondering if anyone on here has built a rod from these blanks and can provide any feedback for them?

Looking at the “Waara” set.

I'm new to rod building, not to casting double hand rods, but do have a background in woodworking and think it might be something I could get into with a lot of work and study of course.

https://theanglersroost.com/products...o-spey-blanks/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Wondering if anyone on here has built a rod from these blanks and can provide any feedback for them? Looking at the “Waara” set. Im new to rod building, not to casting double hand rods, but do have a background in woodworking and think it might be something i could get into with a lot of work and study of course.
    https://theanglersroost.com/products...o-spey-blanks/
    Thanks
    Jcolin,

Just in case you didn't know........................

Johnny Kuehn, the proprietor of Anglers Roost, passed away a while back (I think it was about a year ago).

If you go to the A.R.E. home page and look at the very bottom of that page, there is a notice "The Angler’s Roost is currently not taking orders. Please check back soon for further information."

Not trying to discourage you in your quest...........................just trying to help.

Bob

Thanks bob, i didnt catch that all. Maybe i can find the same blanks somewhere else or something similar...

If you do get a split cane Spey rod blank I am sure there are dozens of good DIY YouTube videos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill, yes i bet youtube will be a lot of help. Im also wondering if bamboo is a bad choice for a first time rod builder, and if graphite would be easier...i do like the idea of bamboo though and imagine itd be much less expensive to build one; the cheapest bamboo spey rods ive seen online were 2k+. The blanks i was looking at were 150 and, unless im really missing something, seems like everything combined (reel seat, guides, cork handles, epoxies etc) wouldnt be more than 4-500 for all materials.

Jcolin,
    You might want to connect with Poppy at the Red Shed Fly Shop.
    I see he's now building bamboo rods. He's absolutely the
    best as far as honesty and integrity. He might be able to
    help you.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Will do thanks Larry!

I have built plenty of rods over the years - never bamboo. I have cast a friend’s James Reid Spey, and it is a work of art but a bit of a learning curve to cast. While this is nothing more than my own bias, I doubt you are going to find a James Reid / Bob Clay quality bamboo Spey blank for a couple hundred bucks. Until you have the chance to actually cast the rod you’re thinking of building, I’d get some experience on a graphite rod that you know. I’ve built several on Bob Meiser’s blanks, but it depends on what rods / actions you like.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks hwchubb, ill check out bob meisers blanks. Yea, graphite sounds like a much better call and easier to find. Id like to build a 12’ 5 weight for fall on the klamath and shad season