Thread: Aluminum skiff question

Default Aluminum skiff question

I've always wanted a Klamath aluminum boat. 14 footer or so. Kinda looking at them now for a future purchase. My question: To what extent do I need to consider the age of the boat when purchasing? Is a 30 year old hull in good condition better than a more beat up 15 year old hull?
    Thanks in advance...

I’ve owned a 14 foot Klamath for 30 years and use it frequently. It’s always been bone dry and I bought it used.

Condition over age any day of the week. With the exceptions of materials and build. ( Our local welded Klamath & Gregor are both great boats. ) I wouldn't hesitate buying a 30 year old ( 1989 ) one owner garage queen in lieu of a 10 year old rental fleet boat.

Here's a rental fleet..... Some of those boats lead hard lives. Taking bets on the condition of the floatation foam under the benches and any wood fixed to the transom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A rental fleet when the wind comes from different direction..jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	15225

Need more info on the subject, visit: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/

Dave

Thanks for the info!
    Dave E, I manage/operate a fleet of aluminum welded boats (at Independence Lake) and for a second I thought the photo was going to be our fleet. The rental boats get hard miles on them for sure!