Thread: Bamboo???

Default Bamboo???

Looking to see how many people out there are into bamboo rods.

I've had a Heddon No. 10 "Blue Water" Fly rod for a number of years and thinking about selling it. It's in great condition, one tip is straight, the second one has a little dip when looking down at it, original finish, 9'- 2F, 3 piece, line wt. HDH. The rod has 8 guides plus the tip top. Has the original rod sock and aluminum tube.

Just wondering if anyone knows any collectors who could give me a rough estimate. I know it's hard to do that without looking at the rod itself.

I also have a Heddon Black Beauty model. This one is in excellent condition. It was given to me by a friend before he passed away.

Thanks
    Jay
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I’m big into bamboo but all Powell and their spin-offs (Yerxa, Hollbrook etc) not the blue collar Heddons. Go to Clark’s classic fly rod forum at http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69 - that is the appraisal forum. Those guys are extremely smart on all things Heddon. They are going to want to see photos though I can tell you that right now. But that’s your best bet for value on something like that.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

I have a lot of photo's. Thanks Rich
    I use to have an EC Powell Bamboo rod before I sold it to a guy in NY
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

I own and fish bamboo rods almost exclusively. The big issue with most vintage rods is condition. Many people think that a rod is in "excellent" condition when in fact it's probably in poor, or just use able condition.
    The 9 foot is not a "desirable" length, but the 2F ferrule is. HDH is 6 wt. in today's line sizes. Also the # 10 was on the low end of Heddons quality scale.
    The Black Beauty is a desirable model, but again it depends on length, ferrule size and actual condition.

If you go to Classic Fly Rod, provide good pics that show the whole rod(s), tube, bag and close ups of the script/reel seat.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Thanks for the information.... I'll check out Classic Fly Rod. Even if I can sell it for $100.00 that will be good enough for me. Just don't want it sitting around anymore
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

I have my granddads Heddon Black Beauty. It's an heirloom and I will never sell it. Curious to hear of your findings regarding value. The rod I have was fished hard so it's not mint by any stretch.

The black beauty I have is in ex/near mint. I don't think the person ever used it. Like I mentioned it was given to me by an old friend or it was his wife that gave it to me after he passed. I've had a couple offers but turned them down. Now I could be on the verge of selling it off. I know someone would use it.
    I already have a person coming to look at the Heddon 10 that I have. Hopefully it will be gone by the weekend,
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    I have my granddads Heddon Black Beauty. It's an heirloom and I will never sell it. Curious to hear of your findings regarding value. The rod I have was fished hard so it's not mint by any stretch.
    The rod should have hand written script that will be the ferrule size IE: 2 F, Heddon, and the name or number. I should say should unless it has been refinished. The ferrule sizes were Heddons way of line sizing (Taper) their rods. 2 F, for example, is close to a 6 WT. The Black Beauty was model number 17.
    Last edited by wineslob; 11-25-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.