Hey fellas,

I was curious if anybody on here is from the Eureka area who happens to fish the surf and the bays in the area for Surf Perch and Halibut. I’ve been accepted to HSU for the spring semester and in true academic fashion, am getting all my recreational logistics in order before anything else. Although HSU is an alternative plan to a career opportunity, still yet to be solidified, which would land me in a completely different part of the state, I’d like to explore my options thoroughly. I’m well aware that the lion’s share of fishing opportunity is Steelhead as there are plenty of rivers with healthy runs, but I’m also interested in the summer fishing opportunities. A little research yielded futile results on trout fishing but it sounds like the Surf Perch and Halibut action can be quite rewarding.

Most of my research was turning up mostly conventional tactics for the aforementioned species but I have fished for both with a fly rod when I lived in San Diego. Though I don’t imagine it’s any different in Humboldt County, some first hand advice on the tactic would be much appreciated. I also have a 14’ Jon boat with a prop motor that I have fished extensively down here in the American but I am tempted to sell it if a larger vessel would be necessary for the bay and Inshore fishing or perhaps for a raft for the rivers. Though I am sure there are a few rivers up there to which this boat could prove a valuable asset.

Thanks for the help!