Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humboldt bay/beaches

Default Humboldt bay/beaches

Hey fellas,

I was curious if anybody on here is from the Eureka area who happens to fish the surf and the bays in the area for Surf Perch and Halibut. I’ve been accepted to HSU for the spring semester and in true academic fashion, am getting all my recreational logistics in order before anything else. Although HSU is an alternative plan to a career opportunity, still yet to be solidified, which would land me in a completely different part of the state, I’d like to explore my options thoroughly. I’m well aware that the lion’s share of fishing opportunity is Steelhead as there are plenty of rivers with healthy runs, but I’m also interested in the summer fishing opportunities. A little research yielded futile results on trout fishing but it sounds like the Surf Perch and Halibut action can be quite rewarding.

Most of my research was turning up mostly conventional tactics for the aforementioned species but I have fished for both with a fly rod when I lived in San Diego. Though I don’t imagine it’s any different in Humboldt County, some first hand advice on the tactic would be much appreciated. I also have a 14’ Jon boat with a prop motor that I have fished extensively down here in the American but I am tempted to sell it if a larger vessel would be necessary for the bay and Inshore fishing or perhaps for a raft for the rivers. Though I am sure there are a few rivers up there to which this boat could prove a valuable asset.

Thanks for the help!

I think that surf fishing is spring, summer and fall?

You could use your Jon boat in the tide water of the Eel, Smith and Chetco rivers for salmon and steelhead if everything is right.

You could use your Jon boat in the lower Klamath and Rouge as well for salmon and steelhead.

There are some lakes on the ocean north of Eureka, on the first one, Stone Lake you could use your boat.

You got the Mad river and Redwood Creek to wade for Steelhead too.

Too bad that Mike at the Eureka Fly Shop retired.

Up in that area in the Fall and Winter you could try to get out with top guide Jason Hartwick.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Humboldt has around 100 miles of beaches that you can fish perch, from Centerville north to Fern Canyon. Red tail are the main focus but we catch a few walleye perch and occasional barred perch.

North peninsula around Samoa is popular and has a perch derby each spring. Mad River and Clam Beaches are good. There is a marine protection area from Mad River south to around Stamps Road that is closed to fishing.

My choice of line is a Rio Stripper Line with 300 gr sink tip and an intermediate running line. My fishing partner prefers 300 gr of LC 13. We both catch the same amount.

Any fly with orange in it will work but a Crabby Patty is hard to beat.

I have not fished halibut in the bay but it is very good. Any time I driver over the bridge there are 10 or so boats in north bay.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I think that surf fishing us spring, summer and fall?

You could use your Jon boat in the tide water of the Eel, Smith and Chetco rivers for salmon and steelhead if everything is right.

You could use your Jon boat in the lower Klamath and Rouge as well for salmon and steelhead.

There are some lakes on the ocean north of Eureka, on the first one, Stone Lake you could use your boat.

You got the Mad river and Redwood Creek to wade for Steelhead too.

Too bad that Mike at the Eureka Fly Shop retired.

Up in that area in the Fall and Winter you could try to get out with top guide Jason Hartwick.
    Bill, you make a strong argument for me to hold onto that boat. Even with a prop motor, you suppose those fisheries will be navigable? I know lots of folks run jets up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Slightom View Post
    Humboldt has around 100 miles of beaches that you can fish perch, from Centerville north to Fern Canyon. Red tail are the main focus but we catch a few walleye perch and occasional barred perch.

North peninsula around Samoa is popular and has a perch derby each spring. Mad River and Clam Beaches are good. There is a marine protection area from Mad River south to around Stamps Road that is closed to fishing.

My choice of line is a Rio Stripper Line with 300 gr sink tip and an intermediate running line. My fishing partner prefers 300 gr of LC 13. We both catch the same amount.

Any fly with orange in it will work but a Crabby Patty is hard to beat.

I have not fished halibut in the bay but it is very good. Any time I driver over the bridge there are 10 or so boats in north bay.
    Thanks for the tips, Bruce. That's a very similar rig that I'd fish in SD, just a bit lighter down there. Maybe we can meet up sometime and hit the surf when I get up there.

Bruce Slightom is a world class fly angler and retired Klamath river fly fishing guide from Eureka.

Anything Bruce says here would always superseded my very general information.

Sheepdog, there are old guys who launch at the lower Klamath river around Hwy 1 and run up a few miles with small aluminum boats with little prop outboards. I am sure you have to pick the 'slot' to get through. They don't go too far up though.

Bruce, what are the best months for surf perch?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bill, spring is when the big female spawn. We fish all year. Winter when the rivers are blown out and the surf is down and you just need to do something with a rod in your hand.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Congratulations on becoming a Lumberjack!

Well it’s looking like the humboldt move is a sure thing. My wife and I will be making the move up there in a few weeks. Looking forward to learning the new fishery.

That is wonderful......keep us posted.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Best of luck up there buddy! Your company will be missed in the hills around here, but I hear the local trout and deer have been celebrating already. Safe travels and solid patience with your studies, I’ll try not to be too much of a bad influence when the rivers are dropping into shape.
    Cheers to you,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown