Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting head weights

Default LC 13 vs Tungsten

Jay,.... Is LC-13 any smaller diameter than a tungsten head?? If so, wouldn't the density of the LC-13 combined with the smaller diameter contribute to a more rapid sink rate?? But, the coating on LC-13 appears thick (without actual measurement). Cortlands trolling line was uncoated braid over a lead core and that was very small diameter.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The plastic coating on the LC13 is somewhat larger than the T lines. I've made 30' coils of both, tied them up with string and threw both in my swimming pool at the same time, the LC 13 hit the bottom a little faster than the T line. Way back in time, I made a few shooting heads out of the uncoated lead core but the problem is the lead broke down. Just like today when I put on lead core lines for people trolling for Kokanee at Shaver, you have to use the nylon coating to tie the lead core to the mono material. All you have to do is twist the lead core a couple times and it breaks. That doesn't happen with LC 13
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Darian,

Your right about the sink rate, the LC 13 will sink a tad faster then the T-14.

The problem with the LC 13 is that it breaks a lot easier then the rated test.

The problem with the T-14 is after pulling on it for a while it delaminates and the coating comes off in large chunks, Rio told me that the reason for that is the coating and the core weren't compatible whereas one will stretch and one won't, however they also said they were working on that. I do use the Rio 30 foot "tuna" line and haven't ever had any problems with it. My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Default De-lamination

I've experienced the de-lamination issue on T-14. I guess we just have to endure it while RIO gets the incompatibility issue resolved. Bugs me that RIO would go ahead and sell a line that has incompatibility between the core and covering before changing it. T lines are becoming expensive....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

I guess using the T line for smaller fish is OK? However if you go to Mexico and really yard on big fish the T-14 line does come apart, again it doesn't break just the coating falls off after a while.

Carl Blackledge