Thread: Looking for a place to try out new Jet Motor

Default Looking for a place to try out new Jet Motor

Im looking for a place to go and run my power drifter with the new jet on it and do some trout fishing. I know the flows are down now but there has to be some river to fish? Feather, Yuba, Sac??

Any info is much appreciated,

Ken

My first choice around here would be the Yuba, either above or below DeGarre Dam. You won't have many people to contend with and there should be some steelhead below the dam.

Over on the Feather you still have to deal salmon, dead and otherwise plus there's still quite a few people going after them. I'd put in at Live Oak and head up as far as you want to go. Unless you've got a key the Gridley ramp is not open to the public. Above there it's all gravel launch.

On the Sac I think I'd head to Red Bluff and explore upstream. There's a lot of water to look at as you go upstream and numerous ramps all the way into Redding.

That looks like a nice rig to play with around here. Have fun.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Do you have any experience running a jet boat? Running a jet is quite a bit different than running a prop. Right now, the LSAC and Yuba are very low, and unless you have prior experience running a jet in shallow water, I probably would not recommend learning how to operate my brand new jet in very low water. As a general rule, I don't run my jet when the LSAC is under 7,000 CFS at Redding. Right now it's at 5,000. Yes, you can run it at 5,000, but that's a bit trickier. Although if your only goal is to learn how to drive it, and you stay away from trickier shallow riffle sections, it's very doable. You just wouldn't be able to go all the way from Posse to Bonnyview, but you could run around in the river near the launch sites avoiding the trickier spots (and there are only a couple of tricky spots). Personally, I'd launch at Bonnyview and tool around upstream and down to the trickier spots. Below Anderson all the way to Bend is pretty easy, so that could be another option. I could be wrong, but I don't think powered boats are allowed above Deguarre Dam on the Yuba. I'd check to make sure it's legal. I've done below the dam many times all the way to the mouth of the Feather, and I've never run it when it's this low (~600-1400 CFS). I've never done the Feather in a jet, so I can't comment on that.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 11-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks for all the info. Yes its the first time running a jet except for an old ski boat many years ago.
    I was on the lower Sac last year and the flows were around 3750 CFS and launched at Bonnyview and made it up around the corner to the second set of riffles and couldn't get any farther.(prop) Launched at Anderson the next day at went up to the RV park but not any further.
    How far down from Boonyview are the trickier spots your talking about? Thats where I thought of launching.

What about Aquaview up to the Posse?

Yea I’m pretty sure motors aren’t allowed on the lower yuba above the lower dam.

Speed limit above HWY 44 bridge makes the run up to Posse from Aqua problematic. Not that anybody observes it! I can't advise you to break the law, but at these flows (5K) you can make it. Aquaview is a good choice for trout as you can run downstream to where you got stopped when you launched at Bonny, and also from HWY 44 downstream. Downstream from Bonny about 1/4 mile there are some heavy riffles. Take a look see and see if you're confident of your skills (it's doable), and if not head upstream. If you feel confident getting through that, then all the way to Anderson is no problem. As I said earlier, I rarely use the jet below 7K, and the lowest I've ever run the entire river in the jet in the Redding area is 5K. I'd recommend practicing by launching from Aqua and running the stretch from HWY 44 downstream to the riffle that stopped you last year. Lotsa good trout water there (although the guides will hate ya!). Once you get some river running skills the whole river is your oyster! Since you've got some prop experience up there, with some moving water reading skills, you are already a step ahead of the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollingcs View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Yes its the first time running a jet except for an old ski boat many years ago.
    I was on the lower Sac last year and the flows were around 3750 CFS and launched at Bonnyview and made it up around the corner to the second set of riffles and couldn't get any farther.(prop) Launched at Anderson the next day at went up to the RV park but not any further.
    How far down from Boonyview are the trickier spots your talking about? Thats where I thought of launching.

What about Aquaview up to the Posse?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    My first choice around here would be the Yuba, either above or below DeGarre Dam.
    Tony
    Motors prohibited above Daguerre.