Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piscifun Platte Fly Reel Reviews

Default Piscifun Platte Fly Reel Reviews

Hello, I am considering the Piscifun Platte reel in 7/8. This reel has many features that much higher end reels have. To be honest, this reel sounds to good to be true! Before I purchase, I would like to hear from actual owners out there that have fished w/ this reel. How is reel quality? How does drag perform? Is the drag system truly sealed?

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you. Fin

The life time warranty is only good as long as the company is still in business.

I would bet the reel is made in South Korea or China.....Korea is good.

The reel is $139 usd

Looks good......your not spending $500 so you can't really get hurt that much.

There are some video reviews on the Web.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Piscifun reel is mftr in China.

The following reel mftrs have some reel models from China or S. Korea ( source Yellowstone Angler, 2016 5 wght Reel Shootout):
    Loop, Orvis, Hardy, TFO, Redington, Ross, Sage, Pfluger.

Funny, I just bought one as a backup for surf fishing. Direct from their site, using a 15% coupon code. It was fulfilled by Amazon. Haven't fished it yet.

I sent my Remix HD back to Lamson in Boise last week for service and they got it back to me on Saturday. Not sure how well that would work with Piscifun, but since it's a backup perhaps not a huge issue.

Another option might be Allen -- their Alpha III and Kraken reels are also made overseas, but they are in TX. I've ordered a lot of hooks and tungsten beads/cones from them over the years. I also just bought an Alpha III, which I actually prefer to the Platte aesthetically, but haven't fished either of them yet. They look very similar, though the Alpha III is said to be "enclosed" but not sealed (the Kraken is supposed to be sealed).

If you buy an expensive salt water fly reel like a Hatch, Abel, Tibor or Nautilus in the future there will be warranty, parts and service for

these reels. Most fly reels under $100 are a throw away after the one year warranty is up if you have any serious trouble.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looking at them side by side again, I think the big drawback about the Platte for me would be the drag knob -- looks like a huge cavity in there where sand could get in and accumulate. The really fine stuff can be maddening to get out. But the reel comes with a diagram for taking it apart, which might be the thing to do if that happens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP7668.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	15110

Allen Alpha III

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP7669.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	15111

The Allen also has a lifetime warranty.

I decided to send mine back, and keep the Allen instead. I emailed Piscifun customer service, who asked me for pictures to make sure the packaging and reel were unused. They then sent me a mailing address, and asked me for a tracking number. My guess is that the email address is answered from someone in China (just based on what time the responses were received), but the mailing address is in the US.

I would guess the reel is meant for use on a boat or a pier, not on the beach. That drag knob looks like it would be a nightmare if sand got into it.

Sorry for the late reply; I like mine a lot. I don't use it at the beach. Smooth drag, easy adjustment. Medium weight. I fish an 8 wt, for bass and stripers. Drag does seem to be sealed. I think it's a great value.

Dragonfly, per the Allen mftr specs, the Alpha 3 is not a sealed drag system. The Allen Omega reels are the only ones to specifically list a sealed drag system.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input��. I’m looking to torture test this reel in the salt!