Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piscifun Platte Fly Reel Reviews

I got out this morning at the beach with my Allen Alpha 3. Sealed or not, it didn't have some huge holes in the drag knob to collect sand and junk.

Not to belabor the point, but I'm pretty sure the Allen website states the Kraken is sealed (yet another Chinese-made reel), as are a few other of their models besides the Omega. Correct, the alpha 3 is "enclosed", not sealed.

I pulled off the spools on both the Platte and the Alpha 3 to see what was underneath. I was not super impressed with the Platte vs. the Alpha 3.

What I've discovered with my Lamson is that even if the drag is "sealed", it probably will require service at some point. Good luck with Piscifun there ... and don't drop it in the sand

Odonata; love the screen name. As I said above, I have a Platte. I haven't had it in sand, but I haven't seen any evidence that it is any more susceptible than most other sealed drags. Maybe I have a bias; do you have any first hand evidence or experience with Piscifun to suggest their service is poor or that sand is any worse on it than others? Or just an unjustified bias against foreign goods or less expensive prices? I applaud Piscifun for their value, and my experience with their customer service has been good.

It got passed on to me years back and it rings more true as I get older.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Esp. in salt- I've been on tuna trips where guys have lower cost gear that works fine the first day or two- day 3 or 4, now it won't cast as far or swim a bait well, and they don't catch.

Yes, this adage that you pay for quality is true; however, you have to be realistic about it. Unless you are some trust fund baby or have more money than you know what to do w/ then go ahead & buy the ‘best’! For me, I buy quality that will serve my needs. For example, I could buy a box end wrench from Mac Tools (MT) vs a Craftsmen. The MT is significantly more expensive; however, I am not a professional mechanic that uses these tools several times a day to make my living. I use this Craftsman tool to make repairs as needed but I do not use it daily to make a living. The Craftsman tool works very well & gets the job done just as well as the MT but I did not pay significantly more $.

As a consumer, before I buy, I do my research. The internet makes access to info so much easier than before.

What is interesting about the Piscifun Platte reels, I have not seen this specific fly reel tested (using objective quantitative criteria). You see many of the name brand reels tested but not this mftr. IMHO, I believe that if they tested it, that this reel would be very competitive. If that were the case, how does that look for reels that the consumer is paying significantly more for!

So another truism, buyer beware. Don’t fall for the hype!

Yes, this adage that you pay for quality is true; however, you have to be realistic about it. Unless you are some trust fund baby or have more money than you know what to do w/ then go ahead & buy the ‘best’! For me, I buy quality that will serve my needs. For example, I could buy a box end wrench from Mac Tools (MT) vs a Craftsmen. The MT is significantly more expensive; however, I am not a professional mechanic that uses these tools several times a day to make my living. I use this Craftsman tool to make repairs as needed but I do not use it daily to make a living. The Craftsman tool works very well & gets the job done just as well as the MT but I did not pay significantly more $.

As a consumer, before I buy, I do my research. The internet makes access to info so much easier than before.

What is interesting about the Piscifun Platte reels, I have not seen this specific fly reel tested (using objective quantitative criteria). You see many of the name brand reels tested but not this mftr. IMHO, I believe that if they tested it, that this reel would be very competitive. If that were the case, how does that look for reels that the consumer is paying significantly more for!

So another truism, buyer beware. Don’t fall for the hype!

I've bought several Chinese and Korean fly and spinning reels and have been very pleased. I'm going to make my fly reel political comment, but I don't mean to piss everyone off. Remember it's my opinion. When I was a kid, a long time ago, Field and Stream mag, had a writer who called himself Ted Trueblood. It was his nom de plume. He used to say that reels were for holding the line. I always remember that. Some of the trout I catch are small enough to just pull in with the line, release them, and go after his big brother. That being said, I go into shock when I go to Hat Creek and Fall River and see people with thousands of dollars worth of gear that they can't use properly. I fish a lot, and I don't buy super expensive equipment (my values, not that I couldn't buy more expensive equipment), and I think I catch as many fish as anyone. Now I know we are talking about bigger fish, but I think the equipment makers are making a larger profit than necessary. I also have been very pleased with the reels I've purchased from Amazon. I'm not talking about rods, but I certainly like the reels.