Thread: Any Feather River Reports?

Default Any Feather River Reports?

Anyone have any Feather River reports for either the Low Flow Section or below the Thermalito Afterbay?

I fished it yesterday. There were dead and nearly dead Chinook everywhere. I haven't fished the Feather much, but every riffle I swung a fly through, I ended up unintentionally fouling a King salmon, and struggling to break it off and losing lots of flies, so not very fun at all fishing wise. I've spent a lot of time swinging flies and have never fouled fish until yesterday. Wondering if I should have gone earlier or later when there are less salmon? I saw a few Steelhead landed from guys fishing bobbers from boats. Is it an unusually large salmon run this fall? I've never seen so many salmon outside of AK. I'm sure the Steelhead fishing is good nymphing out of a boat, but found swinging to be nearly impossible without snagging Chinook.

The lower Feather river has the most modern fish hatchery and has always had a very large Fall salmon run.

It is famous for indicator fishing for Steelhead with egg/nymph combo while the salmon are spawning.

Oct/Nov is the Fall Steelhead time so maybe try swing in Dec/Jan?

I would swing flies in September if you can find some early Steelhead.

Another good time is the Spring in March/April/May.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Low Flow and the High Flow are both fishing fair to good for steelhead right now. Yes, there are a lot of salmon in the river.

Normally we do not swing flies this time of year. We normally swing in September and then in January thru March.
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

Thanks guys, was thinking maybe September would be better so good to hear that from you. Also think maybe my tip was too heavy? 10' of T-11, pretty light compared to what I normally use for winter swinging on the coast, but was on the Klamath a few weeks and seemed to be just right.

Thanks for the input.....been fishing the Feather for 30 years and I know what you are talking about. Swinging with all those salmon is a bust. I typically swing below the Afterbay when it is like this. Tends to be less fish but can still pick a few up here and there. I never use an indicator so that idea is out! I'd dust off my baitcaster and throw spoons w/ a single barbless hook before indicator fishing. I'm not against it at all, just personally don't like it.

I have been on the Klamath the last 2 months and it has been great, but have burned a ton a fuel on those trips so trying to stay close to home from time to time. Probably just play around on the American a bit!

Anyway, sounds like I'll go back up to the Klamath......last week was great! Got to fish it that day it rained a few weeks ago and it was an almost epic day. It was so cold last week that I had to thaw my boots off in the river so I could get them on. Frozen solid!

Thanks for the feedback Itsbenlong.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Gray View Post
    The Low Flow and the High Flow are both fishing fair to good for steelhead right now. Yes, there are a lot of salmon in the river.

Normally we do not swing flies this time of year. We normally swing in September and then in January thru March.
    Lincoln, you got me thinking and I just might try using an indicator for the first time on Monday! I am guessing it would be futile to attempt to swing through the high flow right now. Thanks again for the info......it's been while since I've fished the Feather so I better listen.....right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    I fished it yesterday. There were dead and nearly dead Chinook everywhere. I haven't fished the Feather much, but every riffle I swung a fly through, I ended up unintentionally fouling a King salmon, and struggling to break it off and losing lots of flies, so not very fun at all fishing wise. I've spent a lot of time swinging flies and have never fouled fish until yesterday. Wondering if I should have gone earlier or later when there are less salmon? I saw a few Steelhead landed from guys fishing bobbers from boats. Is it an unusually large salmon run this fall? I've never seen so many salmon outside of AK. I'm sure the Steelhead fishing is good nymphing out of a boat, but found swinging to be nearly impossible without snagging Chinook.
    Thanks for the info Jcolin.......I am always so adamant, stubborn or just stupid about swinging only.....not going to do it though after your attempt. Days like that are so aggravating.