Thread: Pyramid Report 11/04/2019

Default Pyramid Report 11/04/2019

Well today I had a VERY RARE (Monday) opportunity to fish Pyramid.
    Most of my outings are relegated to only a Wednesday and/or Thursday (wife's days off).

Woke up @ 5:45 and was on the road @ 6:20 and 28 degrees.
    With daylight savings time ended, it sure puts a new wrinkle in my Pyramid outings...................

Arrived at Wino @ 7:40 and 37 degrees, and was fishing @ 8:00.

I did finally meet up with pal Carmen from Sparks.
    I haven't seen him for a few weeks @ Wino.
    Apparently he contracted a "flu" and was down and out for almost two weeks, and, we didn't fish the same days as each other.

Anyhow, this morning there was a light southerly wind that died around noon and a light northerly wind appeared around 1:00.
    The sun was shining and it neared 70 degrees too.

There were about 8 of us fishing at the beach today.
    A few of us were fly fishing and the rest were using spinning rods/gear and THEY WERE KILLING IT.
    Saw a couple well over 10lbs landed and lots of 5-10 lb'ers too.

The fish seemed to be way out offshore, and not too interested in flies in close.
    Yep, I tried my chartreuse stuff, nymphs, tui-chubs, and midges, all to no avail.

I did manage to go 3 for 3 today though...........thank goodness it wasn't a skunkin' day for me.

I landed one fish on a balanced leech, and two on a flashback white/chartreuse beetle (a.k.a. shiny foam Mr. T).

Because the sun sets so early now, I decided to "bug out" @ 3:30 and beat the evening commute traffic thru Reno before the sun set.

And for the ride home, a small thermos of Beef Barley soup with a dash of salt and pepper and a couple of shakes of Tabasco that tasted soooo good !!!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to fish again on Wednesday or Thursday this week, but as usual, a report to follow.

Bob

Thanks Bob......

Is it catch-n-release or can they keep fish?

What are the spinning rod crowd using on the end?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Bob......

Is it catch-n-release or can they keep fish?

What are the spinning rod crowd using on the end?
    Bill,

This quote is straight from the Pyramid Lake Rangers website:

"The total daily TROUT limit is 2 FISH:
    One 17" to 20" and one 24" & longer
    OR two fish 17" to 20".
    Only 1 fish over 24" allowed in possession."

"No trout less than 17" or between 20" and 24" are allowed in possession (in order to protect more large fish for spawning and to produce more trophy size fish !"

In all of my combined Pyramid trips, I've only seen one fish kept by a fisherman.
    I'm sure "some" fish are kept daily, but, that's just what I've witnessed.

As far as what the spinning rod crowd were using, the "talk amongst them" yesterday was dark jigs and spoons.
    Pretty typical when the fish aren't taking flies near the shore.

The jigs seemed to be the more productive of the two though .......................

Bob

Bob thanks for the report- my last trip was similar in that the spin fishers had the advantage that day. Makes me wonder though, because while they were casting much farther than I could, they weren’t getting bit that far out. Curious if the fish were following the cast for a while?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Bob thanks for the report- my last trip was similar in that the spin fishers had the advantage that day. Makes me wonder though, because while they were casting much farther than I could, they weren’t getting bit that far out. Curious if the fish were following the cast for a while?!
    Curious to know if the "spinfisherman" or those using casting gear are using braided line. Braided line would increase casting distance and also affect depth control. The approach is evolving.

I overheard a couple guys talking about using 12#mono,, but not sure about the others.