Thread: Klamath Trip

Default Klamath Trip

I fished some days on the Klamath last week. We did a couple of walk/wade/swing days and a couple of guided float days. It seemed like there were good numbers of steelhead around. We saw very few salmon on the redds but we were told the salmon fishing season had been good.

We did one of our float days with Tayler Wells. We floated a beautiful section of the river that I had not been on before. I am really starting to appreciate the Klamath especially the middle river where I have spent some time over the last five years. It is a big, beautiful isolated part of California with a fantastic run of wild steelhead. What more could you want. I spent some time trying to picture what the river will look like with the dams removed and unchecked flows reshaping the vegetation and gravel bars. It should be good.

We had a great day with Tayler. Lots of half pounders and adults and one foul hooked sucker. He is a super enthusiastic guy who loves to fish and knows where they like to hide. If you have a chance to get up there or get up there and float with Tayler do it. It is an A+ California fishing experience.

This was our best fish of the day. About 23".

Last edited by John H; 11-04-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Killer pic! The Klamath has been good to us too! We have been killin' it over the past 2 months, hitting it every other week for 2 or 3 days.

Thanks for the inspiring report and picture John.....

For Klamath Steelhead I mostly swing with a floating line, long tapered mono leader and classic Klamath fly like a #8 Silver Hilton, Brindle

Bug or Mossback. Any size #8 nymph or wet fly might work too. Even Woolly Buggers.

Mid-day some use a sink-tip and a Bead Head fly.

Mostly fish early and late in low light levels or in the shade.

Sept/Oct/Nov is best.

In Sept it is mostly early and late in the lower and middle river.

October is best.....in the middle river.

Nov is good in the middle to upper river. If the water gets under 50 degrees in Nov you need a sink-tip.

I love to get one more angler connected with this great fly fishing river........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........