Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Report 10/30/2019

Default Pyramid Report 10/30/2019

Boy, oh boy, oh boy.

Woke up without the alarm this morning @ 5:45.

Made some snacks, filled a little cooler and hit the road @ 7:20.
    AND......... at 7:10 this morning it was 9.9 degrees on our indoor/outdoor thermometer...........DANG........

Driving to the lake, just before the Wild Horse Sanctuary, my Jeeps outside thermometer read 3 degrees..........DOUBLE DANG..........

Arrived at Wino around 8:45 and the temperature was a nice balmy 23 degrees...........TRIPLE DANG.................

There was a FUGLY southeast wind blowing, the lake was covered with whitecaps, and there were VERY LARGE rollers breaking on the shore..........ughhhhh.

One other fisherman was there and he beat me to the water by about 5 minutes.
    I'm guessing that on his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd cast he hooked and landed a fish with a 'cator rig.
    He was having a bit of trouble getting his rig out there with the wind and waves.

So, I grabbed the stripping rig and the 'cator rig and and headed for the SURF at 9:20.

I fished with my 'cator rig first.
    Within 10 minutes I landed my first fish.

NO SKUNK FOR ME TODAY !!!!!!!

BUT...................it was VERY difficult to cast ANY distance with the wind quartering from the right front, the rollers breaking right to left, and the current going from right to left......all at the same time.
    I was probably getting about a minute of having my flies in the correct "zone" before they were washed into the beach and then had to re-cast.

And it WAS cold enough for the rod guides to ice up too.
    A quick rod dunk in the lake took care of that little nuisance though.....................

I tried tugging bugs but my stripping basket would fill up with water IN THE SURF and my running line would wash out of it.
    That was frustrating too.
    Today would have been PERFECT for a ladder out there !!!!!

I went 4 for 6 at Wino between 9:30ish till 12:30ish.
    Two fish landed on a Tui-Chub balanced minnow, and two landed on a Cherry Bomb midge.

I took some pretty hard "hits" this morning, and after about 3 hours of that foolishness I decided to go look for a little more sheltered area.

I hopped in the car and headed south.

I ended up at Cattle Guard.
    At Cattle Guard the wind blew from right to left with a left to right current..........
    The only thing I caught there was the bottom..........hummmmmm...... pretty shallow beach........

So, I took my zero there and headed back north to Sandhole for a couple of hours.
    I had one strike/miss with the 'cator there and I was starting to get a little bit colder than I wanted to be, so I packed it in @ 4:30.
    At 4:30 the temperature was 42 degrees......and the wind was still blowing........and the rollers were still crashing into the beach.....

So, not a bad day of fishing , but a bit frustrating.

IF I had a "do over" today I would have stayed at Wino. The fish were there and they were eating.

And, for the ride home, a small thermos of Cream of Potato soup again..........

Hope they're still eating next week................dang cutthroats...........

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 10-30-2019 at 11:42 PM.

I got the chills reading your detailed report.....

We have been in Florida for a month and finally today when I opened the back slider at 8am it was cool instead of hot.

It has been too hot here in October to do much running the air conditioner 24/7.

November will be the first month with decent cooler weather.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have surfed a long board at the ‘mid, on a day like you describe.
    Sounds like a burly but productive day! Tha ks for posting your great reports!

Summers OVER kids!

Thanks for the report Bob- sounded way cold but hey you got bit!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now that I've had a good nights sleep and recouped a little, here's a couple of additional tidbits.................

With the wind and temperature being so low yesterday, I used poly glove liners under black nitrile gloves.
    That kept my hands/fingers pretty warm, that is, until I poked a few holes in the nitrile gloves trying to untie a huge wind knot.

And, I watched three fish come up to the surface (at Wino) and inspect my indicator, one of which took my midge offering, around 3 feet below the indicator, and was landed.
    I use a two colored corkie for an indicator, 1/2 flame and 1/2 chartreuse, and the chartreuse side was facing down towards the fish during their "inspection".

As an experiment, I'm going to put in a couple of chartreuse nymphs and eggs in my fly box and see if they'll hit those next week..........trying to think outside the box a little here.....................

The LCT's might be in the "wanting chartreuse" mode now.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 10-31-2019 at 01:01 PM.

I followed you a day after Bob. It was 8 degrees going through the valley before the lake-cold!!!! I did the north end with a tube yesterday. I wanted to try only indicator fishing from a tube off the beach. I tried it last week and caught only one dragging all kinds of flies finally catching one on a clouser. This week I wasted to do the same area but with an indicator. Caught one on a midge and two on a balanced green leech. Biggest was about 7lbs. I wanted the whole Pyramid experience so after fishing I went in to the old Crosby Lodge for a bite to eat. A guide followed me in. Heard him say he caught three over twenty pounds. A few more close to that size as well. I was like tell me your secrets for a hamburger today Oh well any time I get to fish I am in the moment and enjoying it to the hilt.
    Keep up the stories Bob-it makes me want to come out and try to slay the big ones just like you

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    I followed you a day after Bob. It was 8 degrees going through the valley before the lake-cold!!!! I did the north end with a tube yesterday. I wanted to try only indicator fishing from a tube off the beach. I tried it last week and caught only one dragging all kinds of flies finally catching one on a clouser. This week I wasted to do the same area but with an indicator. Caught one on a midge and two on a balanced green leech. Biggest was about 7lbs. I wanted the whole Pyramid experience so after fishing I went in to the old Crosby Lodge for a bite to eat. A guide followed me in. Heard him say he caught three over twenty pounds. A few more close to that size as well. I was like tell me your secrets for a hamburger today Oh well any time I get to fish I am in the moment and enjoying it to the hilt.
    Keep up the stories Bob-it makes me want to come out and try to slay the big ones just like you
    Good report Qp

You got some good fish !!!

Hummmm......... 3 fish over 20lbs...........................
    Said guide didn't happen to mention any "specifics" did he ????

I just got the word here at home that I've got a hall pass on Monday.
    Looks like a Monday and Wednesday Pyramid trip(s) for me !!!
    I'm working on a few of my version 4.0 Tui-chub clousers right now.

And I agree totally with "any time I get to fish I am in the moment and enjoying it to the hilt".

Good job Qp and THANK YOU for the report !!!!

Bob

Thanks for the reports guys wetting my appetite to try it up there

Any reco for cheap but decent places to stay in Reno ?

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Any reco for cheap but decent places to stay in Reno ?
    Stay at Crosby lodge small 2 beds was 65 bucks I think when I stayed last year