Thread: Pyramid Report 10/30/2019

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pyramid Report 10/30/2019

Boy, oh boy, oh boy.

Woke up without the alarm this morning @ 5:45.

Made some snacks, filled a little cooler and hit the road @ 7:20.
    AND......... at 7:10 this morning it was 9.9 degrees on our indoor/outdoor thermometer...........DANG........

Driving to the lake, just before the Wild Horse Sanctuary, my Jeeps outside thermometer read 3 degrees..........DOUBLE DANG..........

Arrived at Wino around 8:45 and the temperature was a nice balmy 23 degrees...........TRIPLE DANG.................

There was a FUGLY southeast wind blowing, the lake was covered with whitecaps, and there were VERY LARGE rollers breaking on the shore..........ughhhhh.

One other fisherman was there and he beat me to the water by about 5 minutes.
    I'm guessing that on his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd cast he hooked and landed a fish with a 'cator rig.
    He was having a bit of trouble getting his rig out there with the wind and waves.

So, I grabbed the stripping rig and the 'cator rig and and headed for the SURF at 9:20.

I fished with my 'cator rig first.
    Within 10 minutes I landed my first fish.

NO SKUNK FOR ME TODAY !!!!!!!

BUT...................it was VERY difficult to cast ANY distance with the wind quartering from the right front, the rollers breaking right to left, and the current going from right to left......all at the same time.
    I was probably getting about a minute of having my flies in the correct "zone" before they were washed into the beach and then had to re-cast.

And it WAS cold enough for the rod guides to ice up too.
    A quick rod dunk in the lake took care of that little nuisance though.....................

I tried tugging bugs but my stripping basket would fill up with water IN THE SURF and my running line would wash out of it.
    That was frustrating too.
    Today would have been PERFECT for a ladder out there !!!!!

I went 4 for 6 at Wino between 9:30ish till 12:30ish.
    Two fish landed on a Tui-Chub balanced minnow, and two landed on a Cherry Bomb midge.

I took some pretty hard "hits" this morning, and after about 3 hours of that foolishness I decided to go look for a little more sheltered area.

I hopped in the car and headed south.

I ended up at Cattle Guard.
    At Cattle Guard the wind blew from right to left with a left to right current..........
    The only thing I caught there was the bottom..........hummmmmm...... pretty shallow beach........

So, I took my zero there and headed back north to Sandhole for a couple of hours.
    I had one strike/miss with the 'cator there and I was starting to get a little bit colder than I wanted to be, so I packed it in @ 4:30.
    At 4:30 the temperature was 42 degrees......and the wind was still blowing........and the rollers were still crashing into the beach.....

So, not a bad day of fishing , but a bit frustrating.

IF I had a "do over" today I would have stayed at Wino. The fish were there and they were eating.

And, for the ride home, a small thermos of Cream of Potato soup again..........

Hope they're still eating next week................dang cutthroats...........

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 10-30-2019 at 11:42 PM.