Thread: Small dark red/wine/claret colored hackle & jungle cock

Default Small dark red/wine/claret colored hackle & jungle cock

Does anyone have any leads on either of these. Both these items are for Atlantic salmon and sea trout flies.

My father still fishes back in Scotland and asked if I'd tie some flies for him. I had thought maybe he meant a handful but then came in the order for about 8 dozen! I've been trying to locate the titled items locally and cannot find either.

I need the hackle for size 6-10 bodies and the jungle cock. I just need some for a couple of the flies.

The hackle I just cannot find anywhere in the appropriate color and size and the jungle cock doesn't seem to exist anywhere except for ebay at a staggering $100+ for a neck, some reaching $300 a neck.

Any clues where to try?

Default Salmon Fly Materials

I'm surprised to hear that you're unable to locate the materials you've listed, locally. I've seen Jungle Cock necks and at least some of the colors of hackle listed at Fly Fishing Specialties in Antelope. If you're looking for a Jungle Cock neck, the price range you mentioned appears to be accurate, depending on which grade you purchase, but you can buy packaged selection of 8-10 nails. If you're still unable to locate what you need, try The Fly Shop in Redding: https://www.theflyshop.com or The Caddis Fly Shop in Oregon: https://www.caddisflyshop.com/fly-tying.html .

There're suppliers in the northwest that offer materials for Steelhead/Salmon that should meet your needs.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Where does he live / fish in Scotland ? My home country thus the question

I grew up in a small village/hamlet not far from Perth called St Fillans. He doesn't live far from there now in another small town called Comrie.

You can buy small quantities of JC feathers for a lower price on Etsy.com. You can find odd colors for hackle there as well. Some of those hippies are pretty good at dyeing stuff. If you need to tie up some small intruders they also have Emu feathers in steelhead blue.

I would really recommend inspecting any jungle cock before you buy it. The grading isn’t really standardized, and I’d be really leery of buying anything sight unseen, especially if it’s at a bargain price (ie below $100).

Lovely place with nice rivers and lochs.