Thread: stupid spey question

Default stupid spey question

My rod is rated for 390-480 grains. (echo 3 6127)

I use a Rio skagit max 450 grain head. Then I add a MOW Light 5/5 float/sink tip.

Figuring 8 grains/ft., this tip adds 40 grains for the sinking portion and I have no clue how much for the floater portion.

So- at this point I am over the rod rating. I KNOW, its not that big a deal, and it really comes down to casting, if I can cast it and it feels good then run with it. And it does cast well.

I just got a set of iMOW tips, and I see these are adding 55 grains for the 5/5, and around 82-ish for the 2.5/7.5 I'm up to 530 or so grains.

From the Rio site, then I need to get a larger head now, so... I'm wondering if I can even run these tips on this rod.

Anyone else go down this rabbit hole besides me?

That's just for RIO. Was looking at OPST commando and its another language altogether.

Someone like Jeff Putnam or Andy Guibord could cast it with a leader and fly to tell you how it feels.

I think you are probably OK.

That is a really great rod......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Someone like Jeff Putnam or Andy Guibord could cast it with a leader and fly to tell you how it feels.

I think you are probably OK.

That is a really great rod......
    Jeff did cast it yesterday with the 450 setup, and the light tip. Of course he sent it across the river. Pretty sure he can do that with ANY line!

We talked about the T-11 tips and he mentioned going to a heavier head, but he followed that saying the setup on there felt good.
    Last edited by Mr T; 10-21-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Always open to debate, however, I belong to the school that says that you don’t calculate the tip into the line grain weight since it is on the water and providing resistance. Two hand 6wts like T-8 and T-11. T-14 is too much of a load...mass turns over mass.
    Yes, most 12 1/2 6wts should cast @450 grains.
    T.

Thanks Terry.............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

MrT what else comes in play is the speed at which you cast. What do I mean by that is this..... Example casting a scandi short, skagit with a floating tip, and skagit with a sink tip. Each line setup will require that you either speed up or slow down the cast. Scandi lines in general will need a slow down in casting. The skagit with floating tip will requrie a bit more speed and the skagit with sink tip a tone faster in the sweep and forward D loop push.

Hope this makes some sense. Also water speed is a factor. And why I tell many that I teach that practice makes better
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks for the feedback guys. I dropped by the shop and talked w Mike for a bit. I’ll try the heads, if they work then I’ll use them. If they don’t, I’ll offload them.

There’s a lot of room for interpretation in the two handed game!

I agree with Terry about not factoring in the tip weight to the overall head weight for a Skagit set up. It definitely does make a difference if you are adding weighted poly leaders to a Scandi line, and using touch and go casts. I know I went through a bit of a learning curve on this stuff: mostly it started at the fly, trying to cast too big and too heavy a fly! Because of the size of the fly, I opted for heavier tips, which meant a heavier head, which meant I needed a 7 or 8 weight rod... etc, etc, etc. Those setups do see some use still in the winter on the coast, but if anything I’ve been enjoying my casting and fishing immensely more as I have continued to drop fly size and weight, along with tip and line and rod weight. Food for thought... be careful how far down the rabbit hole you go!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown