Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity River Steelhead

Default Trinity River Steelhead

Headed to the Trinity River Tuesday 10/22 and plan to fish the Douglas City to Lewiston area and looking for any report on how the fishing has been.

In October most would be fishing from the South Fork down stream to Willow Creek and below.

I would call the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston for a report.

https://trinityflyshop.com/index.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Trinity has been pretty slow this season. I was up there the last week of September for 4 days with no adults swung or skated ( had a good day on the Klamath) and only raised a couple from Willow Creek to Douglas City. A buddy, who really knows the river, nymphed it for 5 days and got one fish a day down in the Del Loma area last week. There are fish there, but you will work for them. Hope for some rain.

Might try down from Junction City to Pigeon point. Been a slow.....late start. Hope for rain is correct.

A good rain in late October of 1982 triggered a huge run that Joe Shirshac and I hit just right RVing at Junction City.

It was one of my best Steelhead trips ever.

That week Joe took some Super 8 mm movie film of me that is in "Rivers of a Lost Coast".
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks guys for the info.

If anyone hasn't seen "Rivers of a lost coast" your missing out on some great history of our north coast anadromous fisheries.

I agree that is an interesting movie and a great story.

Wanted to share that I was up on the Trinity river a few days ago swinging for steelhead the water for the most part was low and clear. Not sure how some of these guys with rafts were getting the boats through some sections of the river due to how low it was. Because I was fishing for steelhead I was using a 13' 7w Spey rod and swinging a 3-4" long rabbit fur leach pattern in size 6-8 trailed by a size 12 wet fly. My tippet size to the streamer was 0x and to the wet fly was 2x.

Ironically I hooked up on a lot of small trout in the 6-10" on the wet fly and after cutting off the wet fly I was catching trout in the 10-14" range on the streamer. Late in the day I did hook up on a descent size fish but I lost him after his first run, alas it was a good day even without catching a larger fish. I just thought I would share.

Regards,

Tim C.

I was able to swing up an adult (and many juveniles) in mid Sept below the NF confluence but I haven't heard much about more fish moving in the past couple of weeks. There is some stream bed remediation work being done just upstream of Junction City which causes noticeable discoloration and debris flow when it's taking place. I would guess staying around/above Douglas City or well below Junction City would be best until this work is completed.

The upper Trinity is always low and clear this time of year. Walk like a cat burgler,don't wade all the way up to your chest like I see so many people do,and fish away from the boats. If you can do that and are willing to drive around you should be able to find some fish. There is a turnout every hundred feet it seems.