Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trinity River Steelhead

Great fly fishers like Walt Bennett, Neil Hansen and Al Perryman taught be to fish the run first without wading in and scaring off the fish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, here's something that really pissed me off the other day....my neighbor showed me pictures of some nice steelhead that he caught on the Trinity which he spent 5 days on with his buddy. The only thing I didn't like about it was that he said they used earth worms, UUUGGGHHHH!! I looked on the Ca regs. and couldn't find anything if bait was legal(probably not?), I don't want to sound like a flyfisher snob but, live worms? I just wonder if he was confronted by anybody on the river!!

Hey bob, as far as i know bait, with barbless hooks, is allowed on all steelhead rivers except the mattole. Like you and probably most people on here i think that must be changed. If the runs are hatchery fish only, then who cares, but it should be outlawed in any waters that have wild steelhead, no matter how small the overall percentage of the run. I swing flies on a lot of coastal rivers that have small runs of wild SH in the winter, like 700-1200 fish a year on a good year, and think its an absolute joke that people can legally use roe and other bait to C&R wild fish on these rivers. Im all for bonking hatchery fish, and have no qualms with bait for hatchery SH or stocker trout, but most rivers that have hatchery fish also have wild fish;even the mad gets wild fish. Would like to see some petitioning to have this changed in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Hey bob, as far as i know bait, with barbless hooks, is allowed on all steelhead rivers except the mattole. Like you and probably most people on here i think that must be changed. If the runs are hatchery fish only, then who cares, but it should be outlawed in any waters that have wild steelhead, no matter how small the overall percentage of the run. I swing flies on a lot of coastal rivers that have small runs of wild SH in the winter, like 700-1200 fish a year on a good year, and think its an absolute joke that people can legally use roe and other bait to C&R wild fish on these rivers. Im all for bonking hatchery fish, and have no qualms with bait for hatchery SH or stocker trout, but most rivers that have hatchery fish also have wild fish;even the mad gets wild fish. Would like to see some petitioning to have this changed in the next few years.
    I agree, with you pal!!

Yankeefanbob,
    Back in the 1960's, crawler harnesses were quite popular on the Trinity during the winters.
    Agree with you and others that regulations should prohibit that nowadays due to the
    scarcity of our wild fish.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Bait is pefectly legal on the Trinity.

I would vote for no hatcheries for salmon or steelhead on a few good rivers with 100% catch-n-release, single barbless hook, artificial only.

Maybe the Smith river and maybe the Eel river and few other short ones?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bill,
    I always thought that the Smith should have had the most stringent rules the
    earliest. IMHO, it had the best return of wild steelhead.
    So sad for many of us who have fished these wonderful
    creatures; me since the 1960's.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Bill,
    I always thought that the Smith should have had the most stringent rules the
    earliest. IMHO, it had the best return of wild steelhead.
    So sad for many of us who have fished these wonderful
    creatures; me since the 1960's.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    It is VERY sad Larry, my 12 year old grandson who's fished only once in his short lifetime would of caught those Steelies on the Trinity using the same bait.....plus in the afore mentioned pics they were holding them in hand by the gills hanging - sorry to say, I doubt it if those beauties made it!!

As a teenager on the lower American river in the Fall I drifted night crawlers (big worms) that we so effective.

I still have the custom spinning rod and Shakespeare spinning reel I used over 50 years ago.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958