Thread: Delta Catchin'.....from Dan Blanton's Forum

Default Delta Catchin'.....from Dan Blanton's Forum

Posted by Bob Arwine on 2019-10-12 10:18:40

After putting MANY..MANY.. hours into looking West, North, and Central Delta I stumbled into several groups of "new crop" Stripers in the Central area of the Delta Friday. More than likely I would not have found them without knowing how to use the side finding function on my scanner.

In one of the Sloughs over a three hour period, four groups showed up. My first Striper came to the boat at 6:15 on this slough. One of the other groups was found on the San Joaquin. The lack of "W" Friday was great! I didn't bonk myself even once...HA! Rock walls,islands and shoals.

More than likely any fly would have produced however, I used a 3D Clouser in Char/ white and of course a 3/4 inch pulse disc.

Total for the day was twenty-nine. Perhaps less than ten of the Stripers were undersize. Many were over twenty with the largest being twenty-four inches. To me good news.

I had a boat of five game wardens do an inspection, the first time in perhaps ten years, of my boat. I had fun with them admitting that I had caught eleven Stripers as they were coming along side. They reported that the Stockton office had hired two more Wardens. Insert political statement here.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Oct/Nov/Dec is a very popular time for Stripers in the Delta.

Unless you are already catching lots of Stripers on flies I would get out with a top Delta fly fishing guide.

I have a few friends who have gone out with almost all these great guys.

These are the guides I know personally and there have to be even more good ones:

Dan Blanton, Mike Costello, Maury Hatch, Bryce Tedford, Steve Santucci, Tobby Uppenhouse, Andy Guibord........

They all have web sites so Google them.

If you need any help getting your boat and/or tackle together see Andy Guibord at Kiene's Fly Shop on the weekends.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Weather and tides permitting I will be out there Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday every week until the water gets too cold. May have to miss a week or two for a Klamath trip however.
    Still dealing with some tendonitis from last November. Nice to have this fishery in my backyard even though it's just a shell of what it once was.