Thread: DIY floats on the Truckee

Default DIY floats on the Truckee

Are there any DIY floats on the Truckee River on the California side that aren't to bony for a pontoon and that avoid the Class 2+ white water?

The other day (a few years ago) I was talking with Stan Hellickson, the former owner of Fly Fishing Specialties. He and one of his crew had done just that. I believe they put in at Hirschdale and went all the way to the Nevada border. There are only a couple of places to take out that you can have a second vehicle waiting to get you back to your starting point.

I had mentioned that I always wanted to take a BIG brown and that's when he got going on this stretch of the Truckee. Crayfish patterns where the fly to have. Large size crayfish flies in mottled colors fished deep with split shot, and they did well,,, very well.

Now that fall is in the air, it would be good to do it before it gets too cold and things slow down. Go for it.

Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    TI believe they put in at Hirschdale and went all the way to the Nevada border. There are only a couple of places to take out that you can have a second vehicle waiting to get you back to your starting point.

Tony
    I would not recommend this float in a one man pontoon boat. You will have to get through the rapids above Floriston which I believe is the section referred to as "Jaws" by the rafting community. You could possibly line your boat through there but even that would be a little sketchy in my opinion due to the large boulders and steep canyon. Maybe in a raft with fishing frame.

If you put in at Hirschdale there is a spot to take out right before the railroad bridge near the big house across the river. Hard to describe in text. This float is much more manageable but there is still one section of decent rapids. PM me if you want more details on this section.

You could also put in at Floriston and fish down to the border. This would avoid the rapids. I haven't fished this section as much but from memory it should be pretty doable.

There are several folks on the board that know more about this section than I do. Hopefully they will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by nightgoat View Post
    I would not recommend this float in a one man pontoon boat. You will have to get through the rapids above Floriston
    Just seconding that those rapids are no joke. Some skinny sections with steep drops, never mind the boulders and fast water. Do not want to float in to Floriston, imo.

Also in the canyon about a mile below Hirschdale, big water as well. I would think up on Glenshire Drive area you could put this together with maybe a small portage or two. You could put in just by the Lumberyard in Truckee and take out at Glenshire Bridge?

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

There are several options, all depending on flows. All require about 400CFS at the minimum

1) Put in at town on east river street and drift to glenshire bridge.
    2) Put in at Glenshire bridge and drift to Horners corner, or to little T inflow
    3) Put in at little T inflow and take out at Hirscdale
    4) Put in at Floriston and take out at big turnout below Farad (not at Farad)
    5) about 5 additional options east of Reno, which are ideal this time of year