Thread: Pyramid Report 10/09/2019

Default Pyramid Report 10/09/2019

Alright gang, another Pyramid report.

Well, I watched the weather pretty closely this last week.
    The forecast for today called for a cold front to move into the area early this morning.
    Yep, they nailed it.

I pounded as much coffee as I could this morning and was off to the races @ 6:00 a.m..

It was an uneventful drive to the lake with the exception of watching my cars outside thermometer drop 10 degrees as I entered Spanish Springs.

As I drove over the pass where you can see the first glimpse of the lake, I said out loud to myself " That's an angry lake".

Yep, there were whitecaps and rollers from shore to shore..........uggggghhhhh.

So I decided to see if my pal Carmen was at Wino...........nope, no Carmen or anyone else for that matter.
    But there were very large whitecaps and rollers and muddy water to about 100 yards off shore.

O.k., then lets see what's happening at Indian Head..........
    Muddy water and whitecaps and rollers too........

O.K., then lets see what's happening at Sandhole........
    Muddy water and whitecaps and rollers too.........

O.K., then lets see what's happening at Rawhide........
    Muddy water and whitecaps and rollers too.........

O.K., then lets see what's happening at Blockhouse........
    A little bit of semi-clear water and one helluva' rip current along the shore.

Well instead of going back home I decided to suit up and see if any fishes were to be had.
    There were four spinning rod guys chucking spoons and as they left they said they didn't hook anything.

So I fished my balanced Tui-Chub minnow for a couple of VERY FRUSTRATING hours.
    Why the frustration ?????
    There were so many weeds, tumbleweed pieces, and other organic crap in the water that it had me cleaning off my rig about every two or three casts and mind you the rip current that was moving it all around too !!!!

So, I had enough of Mr. Blockhouse, took my zero there, and decided to head back north to see if things looked any better.

O.K., then lets see what's happening at Rawhide........
    Muddy water and whitecaps and rollers still.........

O.K., then lets see what's happening at Sandhole........

O.K., then lets see what's happening at Wino........

Alright, that's it........I'm going back to Indian Head to fish !!!!
    I drove to the southern most shore and the water had cleared slightly, so I fished for about an hour.
    Since the water was murky and has come up a bit since last year and I wasn't really sure where the ledges were, I thought maybe I should fish somewhere better known to me.

I jumped back into the car and drove back to Wino to find a deserted beach.
    About 3:00 the wind started to lighten up a bit as well as the water started to clear up a bit.

Another fisherman joined me and he landed a fish around 3:30 stripping with a sinking line and then landed a second fish as I was getting ready to drive home.
    Those were the only fish I heard of or saw caught today at any of the places I visited.

I trudged out of the water around 4:15 stinkin' like a big ol' skunk.

Yep,......... a big zero, nada, zilch,........... a big doughnut for me today.......

What did I learn ??????????

If the weather forecast includes a high wind lake advisory for northerly winds........wait a day afterwards to fish Pyramid.

Hopefully next week the weather will cooperate for my next try.

Please excuse me now ...........I've gotta' go take a tomato juice bath.............

Bob

I guess you can chalk it up to "paying you dues"?

About 30-40 years ago all anyone did was wade out and cast with a 9' #9 weight 2 piece fiberglass fly rod, simple old fly reel, 100

yards of braided Dacron backing, 100' of mono shooting line, a 25' lead core head, short heavy leader, small light colored fly on a

dropper being chased by big dark colored fly.

Other than that spinning guys waded out and cast big black bucktail jigs.

Fly fishers wore non-breathable chest high boot foot waders.

Cotton or wool long johns and socks.

Levis or Khaki pants.

Non-breathable rain coats.

No ladders, float tubes, no pontoon boats and not vary many boats either.

Our fly club, the CFFU, would go up there for a week or less every February.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........