Thread: I am not a famous fly fisherman but I have very good information to share.

Default I am not a famous fly fisherman but I have very good information to share.

I spent over 50 years in the retail fishing business with an emphasis on fly fishing in Sacramento, California.

I was very fortunate to be able to fish with top fly fishers and with top guides where I learned a lot of good technique.

I have spent most of my adult life trying to help fly fishers have a better experience with their fishing.

Time of the year or what I call "prime time" is the most important thing I can share with anglers new to a fisheries.

Next there are fisheries that are more conducive to fly fishing so going to those places is important too.

Having the right equipment is very important so that can usually be worked out at any fly shop.

Working on your fly casting is important and should be delta with to help you be more successful.

Getting with an instructor or out with a good guide will speed up the learning curve.

Leaders and knots is an area that needs to be addressed as well.

That area between the end of your fly line and your fly is a mystery at first.

Entomology and flies is another area that takes to to get a feel for but is important.

I recommend joining a local fly club to get you further along. Many have instructional classes.

On YouTube there are thousands of videos with information on all aspects of fly fishing.

Find a mentor at a fly shop? Find someone who seems to be interested in helping you.

You can email, text or call me with any questions too. I am semi-retired.

When available I do volunteer my time around Sacramento and Davis to meet with people for some help.

I do still work in the travel business for Flywater Travel in Ashland, Oregon.

For the past 40 years I hosted group trips through my fly shop all over the world.

If you need any help planning a good trip let me know.

This summer I booked about 20 fly fishers into Fall Steelhead trips to Morrison Lodge and Speywater's trips.

These are normally 4 day trips that run around $2000?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill-your humility is notably refreshing.

I will never forget my first trip to the old shop on Marconi years ago.

I had POS equipment I bought somewhere else, and no clue what I was doing- you took the time to sell me a few things to get me pointed the right way and sent me on my way. a few days later I hooked my first steelhead on a fly, (promptly broke me right off!) and that was it.

I've been a huge fan of you and your shop ever since- its not an exaggeration to say it set me on the course of fly fishing ever since.

Bill, don't sell yourself short. You are an icon in the business to me. I always look forward to hearing your tips, be it on gear or where to fish or the history of fly fishing in CA. Thank you for always making the effort to reach out to others.

Regards,

Tim C.

Nothing but appreciation and respect for all you do for old and new alike who are starting or are well along this endless journey called Fly Fishing. MANY kudo's to you Bill.
    .....lee s.

Thanks Bill,

Where's the like button?

Roland

I believe the first time I went to your shop was when you were in the "old" part of Town and Country Village. You pointed me to Kauffman's book as well as Jack Dennis'. You were instrumental in getting me to fish the NFF with the statement "there are more pounds of trout in that river than anywhere else in Ca." As a matter of fact, I'm going to try it this week........

Oh, and the day with Mike Fong was a turning point.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.