Thread: Pyramid Report 10/03/2019

Default Pyramid Report 10/03/2019

Well after a five month respite, my itchy trigger finger made me do it !!!!

On the road @ 8:00 a.m. .........I spent waaaayyyyy too much time last night making sure over and over that I had all my Pyramid gear ready to go.

So, I arrived at that "southern beach I like to frequent" just after 9:00 a.m. and rushed out to greet and chat with my pal Carmen from Sparks.
    I haven't seen him since I moved to the "one to the north" beach last year.

Carmen sometimes lurks here so GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN !!!!!!!

I suited up and was in the water fishing around 9:30.

I've been experimenting and tying up some balanced minnows in Tui-Chub colors the last few days hoping to get in on the bait busting action.
    Well I saw a few fish take, I assume, chubs on the surface but those were very few and far between.
    So, no bait busting today.
    I did see a few Grebes here and there, a Loon, some gulls, and to my surprise, not a single Pelican.

I did actually have pretty good luck with my new Tui-Chub flies under an indicator though.

I went 5 for 9 today........not too bad considering the LCT's aren't suppose to be near the shore yet.
    My first fish was at 11:00 a.m. and last fish was at 3:30 p.m..
    One was a little larger than a rat....not by much though.
    Curious enough, most of my strikes and landed fish were within 40 feet in front of me.

And the crowds.......at most, I think I counted 8 fishermen dwindling down to just me by myself for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

I could see just a "few" trucks/cars at Sandhole and Indian Head too.

There were four different groups of campers that had set up on the beach when I called it quits @ 5:45 this evening.

It was great to get back out to the big lake and huck some bobbers and meat around to the fishes again............ and even land some too !!!!

So, there you have it, my first 2019-2020 Pyramid Report !!!!

Bob

Pretty cool Bob..............thanks.

Do you use a ladder?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Do you use a ladder?
    Nope, no ladder for me Bill.
    I just wade the shore up to my ..........mmmm........uhhhh.........upper thighs, yeah that's it, upper thighs.

Bob

We just waded 50 years ago before they had ladders.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My buddy got a 36" LCT there over the weekend. He was jigging the bottom with plastic minnow imitations...

I’m gonna run up Friday night and fish Saturday. Been years, what flies should I be bringing? Use to fish a pair of wooly worms on a fast sink line but I’m not sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I’m gonna run up Friday night and fish Saturday. Been years, what flies should I be bringing? Use to fish a pair of wooly worms on a fast sink line but I’m not sure?
    I'll give this a try Mr T,

For stripping on the bottom, try black or olive wooly bugger/worm followed by an origional Popcorn Beetle (chartreuse/white) or a boobie in the same chartreuse/white color.
    My pal Carmen did VERY well last week in the early a.m. stripping on this set up.
    Of course, sometimes things change from day to day, but a dark fly followed by a light colored floating fly usually does the trick.

If you want to cast then strip a streamer at various depths, try an olive over chartreuse over golden-tan over white streamer.
    Vary your stripping speed each cast, trying slow to as fast as you can.
    The fish are on the "hunt" for Tui-Chubs right now and they'll chase and grab a fast moving fly.

If you try a 'cator or floating line no 'cator, try a balanced leech in black or olive or a balanced Tui-Chub minnow, once again in the olive over chartreuse over golden-tan over white is the ticket for matching the Tui-chub colors.

The fish are looking for meat right now so big flies will work.
    You don't have to toss your flies a mile out there either.
    Most of my strikes and hook-ups while fishing with an indicator were within 50 feet of the shore.
    The LCT's are moving from the deep water to the < 10' water looking for the Tui-Chubs near the shelves then retreating back to the deeper cooler water.......... after they grab a Scoobie Snack.

I'm going again tomorrow to try out my "new" balanced Tui-Chub minnows, version 3.0, that I've been working on.

Report to follow tomorrow night.

Good luck out there and let us know you did !!

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 10-08-2019 at 01:52 PM.

hey bob thanks for the info- priceless! Will get to work tonight on the vice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0542C768-DE04-4F48-90AC-1DA29E481FE1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	398.3 KB 
ID:	15038

A start