Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klamath River: There are Steelhead from Weitchpec to Happy Camp right now.

Good.....thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    Fished the river Tuesday PM, Wednesday all day, and Thursday AM. Not red hot by any stretch. Best session was Wednesday morning on a couple of runs that take some bushwhacking to get to. Two nice adults and a handful of smaller fish. Spoke to another angler who had lit em up a week earlier but was having similar struggles on this trip. I'm a firm believer that regardless of the species, the bite will always slow down after a front or during unstable weather patterns. Give me a nice warming trend or stable weather anytime of year. All excuses aside, I will most likely be going back soon. The fish are there but you need to hit the right window.
    Hey it was nice bumping into you a few times. I’d say there may (or may not?) have been a few factors that were negatively impacting the overall amount of action: change in the weather being one, added numbers of anglers, etc. I got the distinct impression more than once that the fish were ON THE MOVE. Regardless of the factors, real or imagined... overall it was a great trip for me. I did have lots more action on half pounders on my previous trip, on the other had I had more and larger adults on this trip. Not exactly a lot of fish to hand, but I can’t complain too much about getting a solid tug (or more) out of pretty much every single riffle I fished.

I did have to work a lot harder for the grabs I got, but I kind of like the challenge anyway. I did manage to have good action from well below Orleans to well above Happy camp... so yeah, they are there. Sometimes grabby, sometimes not. I’d say it’s well worth covering a lot of water if you aren’t getting grabs, perhaps even a bit more so than “normal” steelhead fishing? I hope to get up there once more before fall turns to winter, but time flies by so fast who knows if it’ll happen.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Nice meeting you as well Jason. I was wondering if you were on this board. You definitely covered some water.
    I got home Thursday evening tired and a little bit defeated but by noon on Friday I had the streamtime map out and was planning my next assault. It won't be long.

In November, maybe 25 years ago, Bob Quigley reported to me that he was annually fishing the Klamath river up in the Seiad Valley.

He said he used a sink-tip, shorter leader and weighted winged sparce purple fly.

Upper Klamath river guide Mike Folden said he guides up as high as the mouth of the Scott river.

I would guess that in November it would be best from Happy Camp up to the Scott River?

Al Perryman, Jason Hartwick, Dennis Lee, Jim Zech and Gary Anderson have been fishing in November up in the Seiad Valley area.

Only thing about November is that many will be on the Trinity river and the weather could turn very ugly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Hey Bill,

Whats your set up on the Klamath?? Rod, line recs etc?

If any of you all interested I only have 7 days left available until the second week oDecember. Im expecting to bo booked solid within two weeks or so! Hit me up it's been good!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hey Bill,

Whats your set up on the Klamath?? Rod, line recs etc?
    I just use a single handed fly rod or a small Switch rod, floating line, tapered mono leader the length of my rod to about 1x tippet.

Then any classic Steelhead fly, wet fly or nymph in size #8/10.......barbless.

Chasing Shade? In August/September it is more important to fish in the low light levels of morning and evening.

Or in the shade with the sun off the run or water the fish should be in.

We were taught many years ago by veteran Klamath river fly fisher Joe Shirshac......he started up there in 1952.

He gets out extremely early and fishes hard for the first 3 hours of light.......with a dark fly.

Joe taught us to take the afternoons off to eat and take a nap.

Then we would go out about 3 hours before sunset and fish hard right up till dark.

Late in the Fall, Oct/Nov, when it is over casting and raining you can fish all day in the low light levels.

Clear skies, bright sun mid-afternoon is not good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    If any of you all interested I only have 7 days left available until the second week oDecember. Im expecting to bo booked solid within two weeks or so! Hit me up it's been good!

If you have not fished Fall Steelhead much or have not fished the middle Klamath river getting out with Tayler would likely change your

future Steelhead experience.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958