Thread: Upper Pit 5 river access

Default Upper Pit 5 river access

Pit 5 is a beast at the high flows but am still curious about wetting a line in what appears to be some juicy water between big bend and dam up river. We’ve tried just below the dam with some good success but it was pretty treacherous. Anyone willing to share any access points or know how much is private property? PM’s welcome.

Look for a Bonny and Clyde shot up car between the first and second dams.... Also there is a Power Line Road before that.... That's about all I can say. Both areas have super smooth bowling ball rocks covered with elephant snot!!! Stick your wading stick in first before you take a step or you will be swimming!! Some people use wetsuits and knee pads... Most of all have fun and make sure you have extra clothes when you do get wet. I forgot to add that now is the time for the Isonychia mayfly a fast swimmer fly. Most people use a Black AP. Andy Puyans fly, but you should also get your hands on Hogan's Iso Nymph. Size 12 tan Poopahs are also good this time of year.
    Last edited by cyama; 10-01-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks cyama. I hear you. It’s a nasty wade with those flows and that gradient. Looks like currently about 425 on Pit 5 and 415 on Pit 4. We have fished many years in the fall (even before the high flow regime) and have never seen the isonychia on the pit. I was told by the fly shop that the high water wiped them out. The only NorCal rivers that I know still contain the bug are mffr and lower trinity (apparently they are on the steelhead menu).

For the most part you don't see the Iso hatch. They are a swimmer mayfly. They have a tail like a fish and don't fly around much. For the Trinity the Trinity Fly Shop has this killer peacock herl soft hackle with red wire for the Iso hatch almost as much fun as their Muddllers in October.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    Pit 5 is a beast at the high flows but am still curious about wetting a line in what appears to be some juicy water between big bend and dam up river. We’ve tried just below the dam with some good success but it was pretty treacherous. Anyone willing to share any access points or know how much is private property? PM’s welcome.
    Completely agree. Back in 2010 I had an epic day right below the dam. This was when the flows were 150-200 cfs.
    Even then it was a total pain in arse to wade...treacherous is right. But I was younger and more motivated.

Haven't fished Pit 5 in several years, but there is some good water at these flows, just have to move really slow.
    I'd head downstream and scout the water.

Hoping to get up there this month...I miss the Pit.

EricO