Thread: Pouchers need to be caught................

Default Pouchers need to be caught................

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Might be on a reservation

Default Poachers??

Agreed that poachers should be caught/punished. But, is this guy a poacher?? According to the original poster, this happens every other day and the alleged poacher doesn't seem to mind if he's observed/filmed and reported. So, if law enforcement doesn't respond and he isn't/wasn't hiding his tactics/catch, seems like whatever he's doing is OK where he's fishing. I don't know where the Cheakamus River is (not in California). Maybe, as Rossflyguy points out, the river is on a reservation.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I believe the Squamish people have tribal rights on the Squamish River but not on the Cheakamus River.
    Pretty sad to see that...

So let’s get as many of a fish that listed as endangered in the name of being a native? I spoke to a native years ago on the Klamath. He was such a true sportsman. And he stated this is BS and should not be allowed! Even under the name of “native!” He stated he was ashamed what the modern “natives” do.

I don’t even care to go in more details but it’s BS! I could careless what anyone else thinks or has an opinion about. I have native friends that live on the coast, and they tell me the same as the native guy I ran into on the Klamath.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Default Squamish/Tullalip Tribes

Steelies,.... In 2015, the 9th Circuit & Appeals Court's ruled that the Squamish tribe was entitled to share in the catch of the Tullalip Tribe. The reservations are, apparently, located on either side of Puget Sound. This expanded where the Squamish Tribe may fish. I still don't know where the Cheakamus River is located but if it's on the Tullaip Res., maybe that would explain the situation.

There's a joint tribal council up there that governs some tribal actions. Check out the link to one of their publications:

https://nwifc.org/about-us/fisheries...mon-fisheries/
    Last edited by Darian; 10-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, the Cheakamus River is a tributary of the Squamish River and is located in southwestern British Columbia, north of Vancouver. Both the Cheakamus and Squamish Rivers are historical tribal lands with historical salmon fishing rights for the Squamish Tribe. And contrary to the claim of "poaching" (or should I say "pouchers") in the OP, it is a legal fishing activity permitted and regulated by the Canadian Govt and the Squamish Tribal Council.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 10-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Default Cheakamus....

Thanks WLREDBAND. That info clarifies the whole situation....

Author unknown