Thread: Little Truckee vs Big Truckee

Default Little Truckee vs Big Truckee

Which do you prefer and why? Just curious.
    It seems like the Little Truckee gets a lot of pressure all year and each time I've been out there the fish don't seem to be where they ought to be. I've only been out there when it's skinny though and it does look like it's good dry fly water compared to the Big Truckee. It seems like people also hole up in the best spots too. :-/ I just don't understand if I'm missing something or it's just overhyped.

The Big Truckee has a lot more room to spread out and most of the time the fish are where they are suppose to be which means catching more fish. I like to move around and cover as much water as I can so the Big Truckee suits my "fly fishing style" more.
    Last edited by mattv-mcfly; 09-20-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Recently got home from trip to Eastern Sierra streams that included the Little Truckee. Had no luck and didn't even see any fish. I'm 100% sure the problem was me and not the river. Fished the meadow area, nymphing through the pools below the riffles. This was the second year fishing the Little Truckee with the same results. Perhaps next time I'll get a guide. Beautiful river!

Quote Originally Posted by mattv-mcfly View Post
    Which do you prefer and why? Just curious.
    It seems like the Little Truckee gets a lot of pressure all year
    the LT is undoubtedly a much more technical river, which I like...presentation and fly selection are keys to success on most days, so the challenge level is high but so is the reward.

while I have had some banner days out there, for the reason you mention above (high pressure and over the past few years, increasingly bad etiquette by other anglers) I've almost completely stopped fishing it at this point. if I want a similar "combat fishing" experience with similarly fussy fish, Putah Creek is 30% of the distance from home.

so I guess one could say I "prefer" the Big Truckee for that reason, but if pressure was not an issue, the LT is more of my personal style of trout stream.

I get where you're coming from. The Lower Yuba is only like 20mins away from me and that's quite technical as well. A lot less pressure for the same fussy fish. I guess you can say fishing divided by driving distance + fishing pressure = enjoyment over time.

I'll have to try to LT during the higher flows maybe I could love to love it then and finally catch a fish. It's just so hard when the BT is so close and I know I can have a guarantee good time out on it even if it means no fish. Personal problems.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

The LT has been getting pounded with the high water on the Big T the last couple of years. I feel like every fish in the LT has been caught several times. It's a big social scene for the Truckee local fly fishermen as well. I know on the LT, if I go, I am probably fishing water that has already been hit several times ahead of me.

I personally prefer the water of he Big T, and over the course of hoofing during the day, I am going to be fishing a greater variety of water. I like pitching streamers, and the Big T is just a lot better water for that.