Thread: 21 ft Jayco SLX8

Default 21 ft Jayco SLX8

We decided that we're too old for tents (and hard sides discourage bears) so the person to whom I'm related by marriage and I finally pulled the trigger on a trailer this summer. We've made a few trips that ended up along side of some rivers here in Montana and it's perfect for us...meaning for two (and our dog).

No slide outs, no bunkbeds, just a queen bed, a full bathroom, dinette, full kitchen, and couch. Stereo, CD/DVD player and 28" TV came with it along with tandem 16" tires and an 80 gal fresh water tank.

What no one really told us (other than the salesman who gave us his unsactioned by the dealership personal list) about all the extra stuff we needed to get to cram into the storage locker...water hoses, electrical connections and serge protectors, leveling devices, wooden blocks, another set of tools, several pair of specialized gloves, 3M "Command Hooks" for the bathroom, floor runners, rails for the shelves (fridge, closets, cabinets), a 4' carpenter's level, and or course the "Stinky Slinky" for the drain that stores in the rear bumper.

The tent camping bins of pots, pans, utensels, and towels got emptied into cabinets and storage areas of the trailer, freeing up shelf space in the shed.

The 21 footer (25 1/2 from rear bumper to hitch) weighs 4600 lbs and (except for the reduced gas mileage) seems to disappear behind the Ram 1500.

I'm really sorry I waited to long to get one.

Getting ready to "winterize" it in a month or so but we're already planning monthly (at least) trips next year.

pgw,
    Neat story; sounds like you two are entering a new chapter in your
    lives. You've included some useful tips for those considering such a move.
    Bigger mirrors on the Ram?
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Yeah, the towing mirrors take a short time to get used to but they save a lot of worry...and the Ram's tailgate camera makes hook ups a breeze.

Around 20 foot light weight travel trailers are very popular today with fly fishers.

If you have a V6 SUV you might need to look at UltraLites at 3500#?

Some of my Steelhead buddies have been buying Four Season trailers for use in the winter.

Arctic Fox travel trailers are a favorite.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........