Thread: Back in the day

Red face Back in the day

I believe it was the early '90s. I planned a backpack trip to check out a 'secret' cutthroat lake. My employer at the time, Mad Dog Express thought it'd be a swell time to enroll us all in a weekend haz-mat seminar. My boss and I went back and forth about it with me insisting that he'd have to pay us all and him insisting that we had to do it on our own time. Well, after he checked on it a bit be caved and said I had to go but I'd be paid for my time. His assistant manager, who knew what I was up to told me the news. I just looked at him and said " time for plan B". He asked what that was. I said "you'll see".

So the morning of the seminar I put on an old flannel shirt over my other shirt. To this I pinned cotton swabs dabbed in skunk scent, which I purchased at an archery store. I used plastic wrap to keep the heinous ball away from my other shirt.
    This was the pure stuff, 100% skunk scent. The kind you can smell a half mile away.

I had all my gear packed for the weekend trip and went to the meeting.
    It seems there were more than just our people there, the room was packed with several more trucking companies drivers. I was hoping to be annoying enough to get the meeting cut short so I could get on the road.
    So I entered the hall, which I only expected to contain my co-workers and found like 300 drivers present. Well, in for a penny in for a pound.

People were gagging as soon as I entered. Like sick gagging. This stuff was actually full strength skunk spray. I seemed to be in the eye of the storm as I barely smelled it, but right away it had a huge effect on the crowd.

I just held nonchalant, explaining to the instructor that my dogs had cornered a skunk under the car that morning and I was told I positively had to take that course.

The assistant manager then had figured out what 'plan B' was and was fighting mightily to contain himself.
    He gestured to me that our group was in the back of the room. So I climbed over legs all the way back there, with everyone gagging as I passed them.
    When I sat down the assistant manager, who by then was loving this, told me I needed to fill out these forms that were stacked on the tables up front.
    So I waded passed everyone again to get the forms and then again to get back to my seat.

Now, me and Jim, the asst manager are the only ones who know what I'm up to. I think I may have pulled a muscle just trying not to laugh.

So the seminar starts.

The dude dims the lights and starts the first video that we have to watch.
    Not 2 minutes later the video goes off and the lights came back on. The instructor stood up in front of us all and pointed to me.

"If you leave right now I will give you full credit for this course" he said.
    "Wha?" I exclaimed in mock disbelief.
    "Right Now" he replied. "Full Credit".
    "Okay Sir" I replied, "If your sure".

He was.
    He pushed me all the way down the hall and out the door with his hand on my back.

I still had to stop at Kienes to get some leader and tippet material.
    I got to the shop before they opened but Andy was in there. He opened up for me but since I still had the residual skunk on me, really strong, I asked Andy to get the stuff, ring it up and just take my money through the door.
    And I was on my way!

And it was great. My first Cutts.
    Although I did stink of skunk for a day and my car had to air out for a week but what's that compared to getting into a new fish?

We've all done something like that right?
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Exclamation Skunked!!!

"America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Ed, I believe this shows how passionate you are about your fishing......and your love of the outdoors.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I believe this show how passionate you are about your fishing......
    Understatement of the year! LMAO!

Yes, Ed Wahl is someone who is on my list of true "Outdoorsmen" which in California is a dying breed.

Ed reminds me of the old timers we knew of the Greatest Generation who hunted and fished their entire lives.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I seem to have terrible "ailments" that require I see Dr. Creek........
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Thanks for that Bill. Becoming an 'Outdoorsman' was a dream of mine from a very young age. I grew up in the midwest in the late '60's and early '70's. Lived in the west side of Chicago for my first and only 2 years of high school. I pretty much inhaled every hook and bullet magazine that was out there.

My parents gave up on trying to prevent me from hopping the CTA bus' from the west side to the end of the 95th street line closest to the Forest Preserves where I did most of my fishing. I hitched or walked the last 5 or so miles to get to where I needed to be. The bus drivers, oh my god, they were so cool. Here's a kid, got a day pack and a fishing pole, in Chicago, at like 4 in the morning. They were great. Wanted to know where I was going and what I was expecting to catch.

Got picked up by a sheriffs deputy once who thought I was a runaway about 5 am on a lone deserted road but after a bit of talking he got it and dropped me off at my fishing destination. Saved me a good 2 hours of walking.

I'd get home sometimes well after 10. Once I could drive I had to compete with my older brother for the one car that was up for grabs. Unfortunately for him I could get up at 4 and be gone long before him. It was a constant battle. He had a sweetheart and I had my fishing. I was maniacal about it. I tore up the sides of the 'shared' car driving through brush. Looking back, I was pretty awful. But I just had to go, no matter what.

Now looking back, my brother and I just have to laugh. It's an unstoppable force.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.