Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salmon trolling rods?

Thanks for the input. I was at Sportsman's today and checking out the Lamiglas X11 series. They have a 8'6" Heavy rod rated for 12-25lb line that sounds about perfect. They're only 100 bucks so I was thinking of picking one up. I don't feel like dropping 300 bucks on a first trolling rod right now and have heard that spending more on a reel seems to be a better investment than breaking the bank on a rod... at least right now. Any experience with these rods?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was at Sportsman's today and checking out the Lamiglas X11 series. They have a 8'6" Heavy rod rated for 12-25lb line that sounds about perfect. They're only 100 bucks so I was thinking of picking one up. I don't feel like dropping 300 bucks on a first trolling rod right now and have heard that spending more on a reel seems to be a better investment than breaking the bank on a rod... at least right now. Any experience with these rods?
    Sent a pm for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I am a big fan of fiberglass for trolling rods, for shock absorption. In the ocean, I use Lamiglas Classic Glass series, they make 'em in 8-9 ft ranges and price out around $120 each.

No reason that would not work for you.

Silvertrons and Kwikfish pull quite different in the water though. I use a lighter rod for spinners.
    Mr T,

When you say you like a lighter rod for spinners, are you referring to trolling with big silvertrons? What action are you preferring then?

Rossflyguy, please keep us in the loop on your fly success!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Trolling the Sac or Rio Vista I use the Okuma Guide Select 10’6” rods.

I use the 360 flashers with cut plugs or 3.5 spinners. I rig them with 10-16 oz weights depending on current speed and depth. So my rods are long enough for an 8’ leader setup and heavy enough to handle the weight and flasher drag. They are awesome rods for the price. Just as important is having a line counter reel to keep track of your rig depth. I use a Lexa 300 line counter.

Saying that, I’ve now committed to catching salmon in the Rio Vista/Walnut Grove area solely on the fly. Been wanting to do it since last year and reading Anglers Coast was the push to just focus on it. BUT I’ll have a jigging rod just in case. ha ha ha. Gotta fill the freezer.

Hey Bill, I know we veered off the rails as far as a fly fishing board goes, thanks for tolerating the chat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Mr T,

When you say you like a lighter rod for spinners, are you referring to trolling with big silvertrons? What action are you preferring then?
    Sheepdog, I am. When I troll(ed) spinners, I used okuma walleye trolling rods in the 8-20 range. The latest version are called the dead eye series.. I fished slow downstream just enough to get the blade to flop- not spin like crazy. using a 2 oz bait walker sinker, i could hold right off the bottom going down current pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Rossflyguy, please keep us in the loop on your fly success!!

Rossflyguy, please do update us - as an aside I've started fishing for the landlocked kings in Oroville and have a good time using the traditional hoochies, but wanted to try a fly to imitate the smelt that dominate the food chain.

So I came up with a tube fly that might work well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	14973

I’ve been tying flies used in the estuaries back in the 50’s. Different color variations and a little more weight. Was even playing with a Comet on a jig hook with some weight. The most efficient way of salmon fishing the lower lower Sac is jigging. Not sure why I can’t mimic a jigging action with a fly near the bottom like the conventional setup.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 09-05-2019 at 08:50 PM.

The best rivers to catch fresh run King salmon are the Eel, Smith and Chetco.

November is a good time to go there.

One of the problems is they have a low flow closure to protect this fish.

The mouth of the Rogue and Klamath rivers in September can be good too.

Getting them as they come through the Delta sounds good.

I know that some Delta fly anglers have caught them while fishing for Stripers.

They can be caught at the mouth of the American, Feather and Yuba rivers too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........