Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Halfpounder Flies

Wow, maybe it's the light, but that fly box has a lot more orange/tan/gold than green.

If I were a fish I'd be getting hungry looking at it.

Looks like those are all flies to be swung (vs. nymphs to be drifted). I've been doing more high stick (no indicator) dead drifting than swinging, as that's what I'm addicted to from trout fishing. I love the feel of the tap-tap-tap as the split shot bounces along the bottom, waiting for the WHAM -- very intense concentration.

I'm trying to convert to swinging on the A, so recently I start my trip working downstream swinging, then double back upstream nymphing. And while dead drifting, I'll let the fly swing at the end of the cast. For that technique I've had success with various Prince patterns and Fox's Poopah's more than anything.

Still trying to figure out the best flies for pure swinging, and all the input on the board is helpful.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 09-09-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

All very good ideas TS.

Spey casting has been the best thing to happen to Steelhead fly fishing.

What I tell people who are veteran very successful indicator trout anglers taking up Steelheading is to swing flies early and late.

Then indicator fish deep in the runs/riffles in the day time.

All this really helps when you get to a run with fish in it..........magic.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Here is some of my go to flies Bill! My late summer / fall box with some various streamers. Got to love sculpin patterns for trout to stripers!

Attachment 14980
    Attachment 14981
    Attachment 14982
    Attachment 14983

Many years ago an old timer said he used a #10 Renegade dry fly fished wet.

So I use that for a while..........
    [/QUOTE]

Mark and his brothers grew up on the lower American river so he really knows it well.

Thanks Mark.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Wow, maybe it's the light, but that fly box has a lot more orange/tan/gold than green.

If I were a fish I'd be getting hungry looking at it.

Looks like those are all flies to be swung (vs. nymphs to be drifted). I've been doing more high stick (no indicator) dead drifting than swinging, as that's what I'm addicted to from trout fishing. I love the feel of the tap-tap-tap as the split shot bounces along the bottom, waiting for the WHAM -- very intense concentration.

I'm trying to convert to swinging on the A, so recently I start my trip working downstream swinging, then double back upstream nymphing. And while dead drifting, I'll let the fly swing at the end of the cast. For that technique I've had success with various Prince patterns and Fox's Poopah's more than anything.

Still trying to figure out the best flies for pure swinging, and all the input on the board is helpful.
    Glad you’re high sticking, no bobbers I do have lots of green in that box there just on the backside of the sleeve. Give swing’n some serious time, nothing like getting that unexpected grab that takes you in your backing instantly.... freight trained!!

Best flies for swinging throughout NorCal (IMO):

Sept-Oct: muddler, euphoria, GBS, silver Hilton, tiny dancer
    Nov is transitional
    Dec to End of season: hobo Spey, dirty hoh, burnt chicken

Give me one fly to fish all year and I choose a sculpin or a hobo

You can tell I like light flies. Let the tip do the sinking. A light fly swims better. And it’s a confidence thing.

Fantastic post, TS. I wish this had come out years ago! Hats off

Mark and his brothers grew up on the lower American river so he really knows it well.

Thanks Mark.......[/QUOTE]
    No, Thank you Bill! You and your staff taught me well back in the day when I got Steelhead fever! Thank you, you are a true gentleman.

PV_Premier, what color Sculpin, Hobo, etc. do you prefer? Does it depend on the time of year?

And if you don't mind me asking, what size and style of hook?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 09-10-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Sculpins I mostly stick with olive sized 2-6 or so

Hobos I like various colors depends on the water clarity

I like flies with a swing hook. More frequent and more secure hookups on short grabs, and I feel they’re easier on fish too because they’re smaller.

Mark, Bill and PV_Premier, Thanks for the insights. (Pupa, you, too bro! Let me know when you get your first 25"er).

Gonna try to apply some of it this weekend and will post any results. These lower flows will be interesting. I liked 3500 -- more fishing area -- but crossing was tough.

For swinging, I have a 7-wt 11' switch rod and use an 8 weight scandi line (somehow that's all I have), plus intermediate poly leader. If that's a bad move, please let me know. My understanding is that you don't need to go deep this early in the season.

For high-sticking, I remove everything from the scandi down, then just attach a super long leader with a split shot to the running line. When it reaches the end of the drift I just let it swing.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 09-11-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: (added call out to PUPA!)
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river