Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored an old Fenwick

With all the respect and history that the old Fenwick deserve, if you want a fiberglass with a modern touch, look no further than the Echo glass quick shot. Glass with a 21s century action.

This summer I bought a Fenwick FF85-3 six weight from craigslist for $50.00. It came with the original aluminum rod tube and appears to be in great shape. The serial number starts with an F so I think it might be from the late sixties. The guy I bought it from said he buys storage lockers ala storage wars and it was in one of the lockers he bought. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet and I needed another rod like I need a hole in my head but I couldn’t pass up buying a little fly fishing history. It should be fun to give it a shot.

I fish a lot with the Fenwick fiber glass rods. My favorite is the 705 and the 75 but I just sold the 75 to a board member. I have a pretty good collection of rods. Sometimes I throw my 605 which is a sweet rod. I use the 1494 on most of them. I'm always searching for those rods. The last batch I bought from someone who has a bunch of rods and reels from the 60's, 70's and a few 80's. A lot of fiber glass rods, boron rods and a few more fly reels. They also have a collection of old bait casting reels. Much different from today's modern technology. Her father in law passed away at 89 and has all this equipment and they don't even fish. One of the things I most interested in are the wooden plugs she said she has. Some in boxes.
    Kinda like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

In the 1970s our 'go to' Fenwick fiberglass fly rod for trout was the FF805.

8 foot for 5 line in 2 piece.

We used a Cortland Peach 444 WF6F on it with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 fly reel.

Today I use a WF5F on it which seems to work well.

The average, most popular trout line size for the Greatest Generation was a weight forward 7 floater.

For us Baby Boomers it was at first the WF6F on fiberglass rods.

Today the WF5F is the top choice for trout, on average, on a 9 foot 4 piece graphite rod.

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........