Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored an old Fenwick

Default Scored an old Fenwick

Hey all. I just scored a Fenwick FF858 8 wt fly rod. I wanna use this thing for stripers in shallow estuary type environs and maybe steelhead. I have no clue what kind of line I would put on it,some sort of floating I suppose. Anyone ever use one? Seems like it has a lot of bend to it but some power in the butt section as well. It was free so I'm pretty happy I scored one.

That was a very popular Steelhead rod, especially in Oregon and Washington.

The 857 and 858 were both really nice casting as were most Fenwick fiberglass fly rods.

Fiberglass fly rods were mostly 2 piece.

I would use a longer belly WF8F and some Poly/Versi short sinking leaders.

I would be nice on the Trinity River with a WF8F Wulff Ambush line for single hand Spey casting (roll casting).

The fiberglass fly rods were not very good in longer lengths.

In the 1960s and 1970s Fenwick was the top fishing rod manufacturer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Welcome to the Classic Fenwick Cult - jealous about how low your entry cost was.

The Fenwick glass rods were definitely full flex - it’s why most of us love them - but you can underline it and bring it closer to a “modern” action. Try throwing a WF7 on it as well. You might be surprised at how well it throws a big streamer or popper once you get used to it.

Oh, and they only cast correctly if you pair them with a Pfleuger Medalist (pre-Shakespeare models), probably a 1495 or 1495 1/2.

OK, it will cast with other reels, but it just don’t look right.

I think I have a 1495 laying around!!

Good stuff Wayne.....

Under lining old fiberglass rods is a great idea.

In the 1970s I would have sold you a Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 reel with that rod....all new and cutting edge stuff.

Most would put a Cortland 444 SL (long belly) green WF8F on it.

Probably a spool with a sinktip and maybe another spool with a selection of sinking shooting heads (ST9S).

Back then, 1960s and 70s, when shooting heads were King we weighed every shooting head and put that weight on the end of the box.

Getting the exact weight heads on a rod was very important.

Fly casting master Watt Bennett had a set of 30' shooting heads in 10 or 20 grain graduations and if you were lucky he would take you out with your new rod and try some on it until he got the right weight.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I have an 8 wt 8 1/2’ fenwick glass rod I built from a blank in the mid 1970’s. Paired with a Diawa 254 reel and lead core shooting head I caught my first and several other bonito on it at Redondo Harbor. I remember another fellow was fly fishing with an early generation graphite rod and it blew up on him when he had a fish on.....sounded like a rifle shot. I still have the 254 reel too and it works fine.

The lead core had the old fabric, not plastic, coating and was 13 grains per foot. I think it’s still around in a box too.

That's awesome guys! I personally always felt that it was more fun fighting fish on those old fiberglass fenwicks for some reason.

First post here, but I have an FF85 as well, a “D” serial number 3 3/4 oz that I believe puts it a 1963’ or 64’. It was my dad’s and I remember him casting it with great joy. I messed around with it some, back in the late 80s when I was in college, but it’s been in its aluminum tube for the past 30 yrs. Now, however, I seem to have gotten the bug to try fly fishing for real and so am trying to soak up all the online knowledge I can find. And boy is there a lot!

Of course, as a previous poster stated, this rod would not look right without the proper Pflueger Medalist, and of those I have a few. In the collection is a 1938 1496, an Akron 1495, a late 60s 1495DA, a late 50s 1498, and a 90s era 1492. The 1495 Akron is freshly spoiled with a WF6F line and is waiting to take to the water on the FF85. I also, just because, picked up a newer Fenglass 6’6” 3wt for the 1492.

Do I know how to use these yet? Nope! But half the fun will be learning. Thanks for letting me make my first post. Cheers!

Kurt

Welcome to our little fly fishing forum......

The 1495 is what I put on my FF85 but I have a WF7F on mine?

Maybe some time in the spring we can meet and cast them both?

Take it by Kine's Fly Shop on the weekend when Andy is working.

He can cast it with a WF6F and a WF7F to determine which is best.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Thanks Bill, that would be educational, let’s do that. And I’ll see if I can’t take it to the shop to get Andy’s opinion.

Kurt