Thread: WTB: Kids rod/reel combo?

Default WTB: Kids rod/reel combo?

Looking for something for my 7 year old to have his own rod/reel. He's pretty good about usuing my rods but i want something i can walk away from and let him fish without worry too much about my expensive gear. Probably something 8' or less would be ideal for him.

thanks!

I highly recommend you pick up an echo gecko rod for him. I picked up one for my son when he was about that age and he is still using it and he is 13 now. I fish with it once and a while and it is hard to through a tailing loop with it, very forgiving and sized right for a kid.
    Also you do not have to worry about it. Our dog chewed up the first one I bought while we were on our way to almanor to use it for the first time. I sent an email to echo explaining that i did not expect them to replace it but was wondering if they would give me a deal on a replacement. They sent me a new rod per their warranty without additional charge and the warranty receipt said unable to fix, replace dog.
    If you would like to try one out I am in fair oaks.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    I highly recommend you pick up an echo gecko rod for him. I picked up one for my son when he was about that age and he is still using it and he is 13 now. I fish with it once and a while and it is hard to through a tailing loop with it, very forgiving and sized right for a kid.
    Also you do not have to worry about it. Our dog chewed up the first one I bought while we were on our way to almanor to use it for the first time. I sent an email to echo explaining that i did not expect them to replace it but was wondering if they would give me a deal on a replacement. They sent me a new rod per their warranty without additional charge and the warranty receipt said unable to fix, replace dog.
    If you would like to try one out I am in fair oaks.
    Russell
    I second this recommendation, great kid-friendly product and great service.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for something the kiddo can "grow into" and that will still be useful when he's 16, I would suggest a 7'6" 3wt Redington CT paired with a battenkill reel. You should be able to pick up pre-owned for under $200 for the combo. I have both, but not selling...

The TFO bug launcher is a good choice for small children to learn on.
    Don Memmer

I’ve got an old 8’6” glass rod you can have if you want it. Probably a great rod to learn on. Lots of feel and slow. Let me know - probably $15 to ship and it’s yours.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

I will second on the use of glass for the kids to learn with........ Kids pick up things quick, but a glass rod will allow them to truly feel the rod load. Once they grasp that concept, then will be able to cast anything, including technique specific conventional casting rods. Use the glass rod and once they grasp, which they will quick, then consider purchasing something else. The Redington Classic Trout series is an ideal choice at that point.

The fly rod I liked for the kids was the original TFO two-piece green blank 4 weight at 8 feet. Hard to find as I don't think many were sold and finding them second hand is tough. I know Kienes had this rod back in the day.