Thread: My two hand conversion.................................

Default My two hand conversion.................................

Well, since my last trip to fish the “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” using a single handed 2wt rod I had, I decided to take my little 8' 2wt and turn it into a two-hander.

I had a couple of reasons for doing so.

First, the rod is an old graphite blank (about 25 year old technology) that has a really nice parabolic bend when loaded..............so I thought...................should be ideal for two handed roll casting.

Second, while I was single handed roll casting out of my tube, I was having problems with my running line (explanation a little further down) wrapping behind and around my fly reel when shooting line.

When using my other two handed rods, my lower hand gripping the handle while roll casting keeps the line on the correct side of the rod and reel and eliminates that wrapping issue.

So I searched through my rod building junk and found some suitable cork pieces and rings and a length of tapered carbon rod.
    I was able to remove the old metal butt cap from the rod with the heat from a candle and then remove the little bit of epoxy that was in the butt end of the blank.

Rings were glued up and I added a 1/2 inch EVA ring on the butt end of my soon to be "new" lower handle.

I measured and trimmed the tapered carbon rod for just the right fit into the end of the blank.

Since I lucked out with a really good snug fitting piece of carbon rod, I decided to make this lower handle removable..................just in case this turned out to be a BAD idea.

I shaped my new handle using a mandrel and an electric drill (clamped in a vise) till I was satisfied with the diameter and length.

I epoxied my "new" handle onto my "fitted" tapered carbon rod and allowed it a day to cure.

The next day I was anxious to see what the result would be so I fished at a little pond here in town for a few hours.......and caught some fish too............

My "new" little 2wt 2 handed rod roll cast wonderfully.
    I used a Scientific Anglers Adapt floating line (21 foot integrated head @ 240 grains) with a 12' foot leader and was able to roll cast (from shore) 50-60 feet +- with an indicator and small nymph rig............ as long as the wind wasn't blowing directly in my face.

Success....................

So, did I just create a ZERO weight micro-trout spey rod ????????????????????????

Can't wait to get back up to that “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” with my "new" two handed rod and float tube to catch some of those little brookies again !!!!!!

Bob

Pretty cool.....

Rick Jorgensen had rod builder Dave Hendrickson add a two handed butt section to several 10' single hand rods for.

He said once he go the right line on them he had some nice Switch rods.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Well, since my last trip to fish the “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” using a single handed 2wt rod I had, I decided to take my little 8' 2wt and turn it into a two-hander.

I had a couple of reasons for doing so.

First, the rod is an old graphite blank (about 25 year old technology) that has a really nice parabolic bend when loaded..............so I thought...................should be ideal for two handed roll casting.

Second, while I was single handed roll casting out of my tube, I was having problems with my running line (explanation a little further down) wrapping behind and around my fly reel when shooting line.

When using my other two handed rods, my lower hand gripping the handle while roll casting keeps the line on the correct side of the rod and reel and eliminates that wrapping issue.

So I searched through my rod building junk and found some suitable cork pieces and rings and a length of tapered carbon rod.
    I was able to remove the old metal butt cap from the rod with the heat from a candle and then remove the little bit of epoxy that was in the butt end of the blank.

Rings were glued up and I added a 1/2 inch EVA ring on the butt end of my soon to be "new" lower handle.

I measured and trimmed the tapered carbon rod for just the right fit into the end of the blank.

Since I lucked out with a really good snug fitting piece of carbon rod, I decided to make this lower handle removable..................just in case this turned out to be a BAD idea.

I shaped my new handle using a mandrel and an electric drill (clamped in a vise) till I was satisfied with the diameter and length.

I epoxied my "new" handle onto my "fitted" tapered carbon rod and allowed it a day to cure.

The next day I was anxious to see what the result would be so I fished at a little pond here in town for a few hours.......and caught some fish too............

My "new" little 2wt 2 handed rod roll cast wonderfully.
    I used a Scientific Anglers Adapt floating line (21 foot integrated head @ 240 grains) with a 12' foot leader and was able to roll cast (from shore) 50-60 feet +- with an indicator and small nymph rig............ as long as the wind wasn't blowing directly in my face.

Success....................

So, did I just create a ZERO weight micro-trout spey rod ????????????????????????

Can't wait to get back up to that “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” with my "new" two handed rod and float tube to catch some of those little brookies again !!!!!!

Bob
    Have you tried the stream inlet back by the beaver house?

Quote Originally Posted by finsandfeathers View Post
    Have you tried the stream inlet back by the beaver house?
    Hey f&f,

No, I've only visited the lake twice..........once shore wading and once with the float tube.

Is the "beaver house" the name of the cabin/property/owners right at the outlet or is there an honest to goodness beaver (toothy critter) dam/lodge/den on the inlet creek there ??????

I'm still a newb at this lake.

Bob

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Hey f&f,

No, I've only visited the lake twice..........once shore wading and once with the float tube.

Is the "beaver house" the name of the cabin/property/owners right at the outlet or is there an honest to goodness beaver (toothy critter) dam/lodge/den on the inlet creek there ??????

I'm still a newb at this lake.

Bob
    There’s a real live beaver abode on the right side toward the back side of the lake. On the left of the beaver casa, there’s some reeds and grasses too

Quote Originally Posted by finsandfeathers View Post
    There’s a real live beaver abode on the right side toward the back side of the lake. On the left of the beaver casa, there’s some reeds and grasses too
    Gotcha' !!!!!

I wasn't sure if there was something back up in the inlet creek I was missing.

Yep, I did cruise by and fish near and around that beaver "abode" but didn't have any action there.
    If we're talking the same place, that's quite the assemblage of sticks, logs, and twigs.
    Kinda' looks like part of a river restoration project...................
    Um...............never mind that last thought..................

I'm getting my things together for a Wednesday trip.

Bob